Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,333   Online: 1079

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Uncorrected latitude of Kodak Portra 400 shown below.

Link to larger version -> Kodak Portra 400 A

You can recover shadows and highlights easily.

Link to larger version -> Kodak Portra 400 B

Uncorrected mix light - CF bulb and window lighting

Link to larger version -> Kodak Portra 400 C

A couple of other samples of uncorrected longer exposure modes greater then a few seconds.

Links to larger versions -> Kodak Portra 400 D & Kodak Portra 400 E

I also happen to like Fuji Pro400H as well as Provia 400X so definitely give those a try.
    Due to reprocity failure, i dont belive all those EV+ steps are correct

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to clarify the procedure more precisely, I used a reference white balance bullb, determined optimal aperture @ 1/125 and adjusted the shutter over and under this reference as shown. The EV steps are fixed and no compensation/adjustments were made to account for reciprocity error in this test. If by the RE you mean the color shifting at +8 and above then I believe that is just from extreme over exposure and the scanner doing it's best "auto exposure". I have not done a "proper" long exposure test with this film but I have certainly taken numerous longer then 8 second exposures with it that clearly show it is unaffected at least to about 30 seconds except the reference artificial light isn't exactly white balanced. Picture below is uncorrected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had new 400 done from a wedding I shot and the colors came out pretty neutral. I actually bumped up the saturation a little in a couple of the shots. It's no Kodachrome or VC, but it's not 160NC either.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 5.6 Symmar in a Synchro Compur
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only thing I don't like about Portra 400 is how orange it is. I've pretty much switched to Pro 400H or Ektar for skintones. 400H is better if you want that light and pastel tone, Ektar is easily the best film if you want natural looking punch to the color.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    The only thing I don't like about Portra 400 is how orange it is.
    You print optically?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin