Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,769   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    Thanks Dave, budget's still a bit tight though. So have to look at my best options on a small budget for now.
    A used Carl Zeiss 150 mm for your Hassy is my recommendation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave, I have the
    Nikon F90X with Nikon 50mm 1.4 lens
    Nikon D70 with Nikon 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 lens (can't be used on 35mm camera)
    Hasselblad 501c/m with 80mm 2.8 planar lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave, I have the
    Nikon F90X with Nikon 50mm 1.4 lens
    Nikon D70 with Nikon 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 lens (can't be used on 35mm camera)
    Hasselblad 501c/m with 80mm 2.8 planar lens
    Morten, that would be wonderful. Autofocus though? I need AF with the littlies!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would agree on the Carl Zeiss 150, talk about a great lens.

Now adays, both Sigma and Tamron offer good quality zooms that work great for people work, I know sacrilage, non-nikon on a nikon camera, but have found both of the zooms to be good for people, and for the zoom ranges they work very good.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much is the CZ 150 these days? But it doesn't come in AF, does it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'I'm currently tossing up between the one of these:
    Nikon 85mm 1.8
    Nikon 85mm 2.8
    Sigma EX 105mm 2.8

Has anyone used any of these?'

Nicole,

I've used two of them, but not the Sigma.

The Nikon 85/1.8 is one of my favourite lenses for portraits (opinion limited to the lens versions I've tried) . I had an 85/1.4 for a while, but preferred the 1.8 so much that I sold the 1.4.

The 85/2.8 is a 'preset diaphragm' lens - but that isn't a big drawback. It's a very fine lens - one of the best - but unless there was a specific need for it (ie close-up, shift and tilt) I wouldn't use it for general use. While I use my 28/2.8 PC Super Angulon (also manual diaphragm) as a general purpose lens in daylight, I wouldn't consider the 85 mm PC Micro-Nikkor in place of the 85/1.8 - it's about twice the weight and a bit slower to operate. There's a small difference in price as well!

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How much is the CZ 150 these days? But it doesn't come in AF, does it?
    Nope...But go for a lens for the D70 and the F90X. There are a lot of good lenses that are usable on both cams with well-working autofocus.

Try both Nikkor as well as the non-nikkors (Sigma (which I like!), Tamron and Tokina, et.al)

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, just been looking at the Nikon 105mm f2/D AF DC Nikkor lens, which has raving reviews. Has anyone used this one before?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, just been looking at the Nikon 105mm f2/D AF DC Nikkor lens, which has raving reviews. Has anyone used this one before?
    Well, I just found the price on this little number - NOT an option!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Once again, Dave Parker and I seem to be on the same page.

I like a 35-105/2.8 constant aperture zoom in 35mm for shooting at events. It's the only zoom I own, and I have a lot of lenses. The downside of such a lens is barrel/pincushion distortion at the ends of the range, but I'm not using it for copy work or architecture. The amount of distortion on these tele-wide zooms increases as the zoom range increases, so I personally wouldn't go for a wider range than 35-105, though there are lenses like that out there. You can't always stand in the ideal place when you're in a room full of people going from shots of one to three to a whole table to one across the room. This is where a zoom is really handy, and it's more important to fill the frame in 35mm than it is in MF or LF.

A prime lens in the 85 to 105mm range is great for more formal studio portraits with 35mm. A normal or slightly wide lens is better for full length portraits or environmental portraits, where you want to show someone's surroundings.

For 6x6 portraits of this sort, I'd usually use a 135mm lens and a 15mm extension tube. Something in 120mm to 180mm range would be the usual choice.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin