Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,269   Online: 759

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love to have a 135mm/2.8 or so for that purpose.

But my baby loves to play with a voss 50/4 enlarging lens
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Hi
    In Denmark a used 150 mm for Hassy costs $700-$800 (US$ that is). Is that still too expensive?
    Hi M, for now it is. Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll second the recommendation of the 80-200/2.8. I have used it quite often shooting candids of my two young nephews, and it has not disappointed. It's very sharp across the entire range (with very little distortion), and the fact that it goes all the way out to 200 gives you a little extra distance to offset the distraction and attention that a big lens like that creates. Plus, it's a great all-around lens that will serve you well no matter where you use it. All three versions of this lens have outstanding optical quality, with slight differences in handling characteristics.

If you don't have quite so much working distance an/or the light is less than ideal, I'd say go with the 85/1.8. It's smaller, lighter, equally sharp, and that extra 1.3 stops can really make the difference between capturing that special moment and just another blurry kid photo.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I use 50mm, 80mm, 100mm, and 135mm lenses to photograph children. Below are two examples I recently acquired with Delta 100 film developed in Microdol-X 1:3 for 17 minutes at 75 degrees. The shot of the baby being held up by her father was acquired with my Leica R8 and 100mm lens and the second shot of the baby on a blanket was acquired with my 50mm Summicron lens. The original prints are gorgeous and the parents of the baby were shocked when they first viewed the prints, not only because of the wonderful tonality the compensating effect of the Microdol-X concoction created but also because of the great sharpness, lack of grain, and tight composition. The first time I photographed a child 6 months ago, I mistakenly used my 180mm lens and was horrified upon discovering that that lens flattened and enlarged the 1-year-old child's head horridly. That does not happen with the aforementioned shorter focal lengths.
    Last edited by tbm; 08-21-2007 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

85mm 1.8 lens

Hi All, thank you all very much for helping me make up my mind on a new lens. Well, I picked it up and took it straight for a workout - on my DIGI! I wanted instant gratification to test it out. I will give you some examples here shot with the 85mm 1.8 lens. These are digital, so I won't upload them into the gallery out of respect to all us APUG's. Thanks to you all. I'm so happy wiht this lens!!!
    Kind regards from West Australia
    Nicole
    Last edited by Nicole; 07-20-2007 at 10:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jon and TBM! I really appreciate your input! I'm very happy with my newbie!
    Kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon 85mm Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    Thanks Morten! I'm currently tossing up between the one of these:
    Nikon 85mm 1.8
    Nikon 85mm 2.8
    Sigma EX 105mm 2.8

Has anyone used any of these?
    Hi Nicole,
    I had an 85mm 1.8 Nikkor, the manual focus version of the lens ,until some burglar relieved me of it, I am mainly a portrait photographer, and I loved the natural perspective it produced, and the placticity it gave to the human features, it was my favorite lense. In portrait shots I find, especially in the studio, where space can be limited, and longer focal length lenses tend to flatten perspective, it was perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nicole

Your decision was exatly perfect. On german color mag the 1,8 is on the MTF the sharper lens then the f1,4 and the 1,4 would be to heavy for a long shooting for you!
    I have the 1,8 also and also love it. I also have the f2 135mm DC wich I use for weddings for to kill the background sometimes! I found the Sigma on a list from a german photog to have bad bokeh!
    You did the right thing and a f2,8 80-200 zoom lens is much to heavy for such work in my opinion!

Shooter
    35mm
    i love my nikon 85mm f/1.8 af-d. i use it for candids, i dont do much pose portraiture. my personal preferance is towards prime lenses, i wont even pick up a zoom if i dont have to. here is my friends daughter shot with the 85.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mathis-kid-apug..jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was also tempted to buy the 85 1.8 AF for my F100. Right now I am using a 105 2.5 AIS which is manual focus and sometimes it's really difficult to "catch the moment" (I wonder how people did before AF was introduced ). Not that it's impossible to take candids, of course, it's just so much more harder for me especially when I'm shooting at wide open (which is, most of the times for this kind of shot).

The example in the attachment is with my 105 (Kodak Tri-X in Rodinal, a poor scan from the negative). My 3 months old daughter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Masha.jpg  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin