Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,472   Online: 953

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon FE need a battery ?

I went pick to up a Nikon Fe with 35-70 today for $45 but when I checked it I couldn't see through the view finder. Mirror was up. I couldn't advance the film lever either. The camera is in mint shape except for these two things am i missing something ? The battery was out, does it need the battery? Would that allow the mirror to go down and the film to advance ? Oh and the button to fire the camera was locked or something. Could depress it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Nikon FE has two manual shutter speeds - B and the one next to it (I think it is 90). All the other shutter speeds require a battery.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Battery costs about $3. But this could be more serious.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.276771,-80.252519
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    could be a more serious problem but first turn the shutter speed dial to M90 and see if the mirror goes down. If it does see if the camera will work at M90. If it does then try new batteries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tried turning the speed dial to m90. No good mirror still stuck shut. Bummer.

Shooter
    35mm
    As a recent FE owner, I've read about this problem often but it doesn't seem too serious...

Apparently if you have the camera set to Auto mode and try to shoot with the lens cap on, it locks up mirror and hangs. Set it to M90 and shoot... That should solve the problem.
    Sorry, I am probably asking a very obvious question: You've said you turned the dial to M90 but did you shoot?

The film lever could be related... Since the mirror is up, the FE might think it's still shooting and block the lever

Hope things turn out well!

Cheers,
    Som

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The mirror could be stuck on the bumper - can you move the mirror with you finger? I don't think you can use the advance lever with the mirror up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Breedlove View Post
    Tried turning the speed dial to m90. No good mirror still stuck shut. Bummer.
    ... and you put a new battery in, right?

I think the problem may be what Som is referring to; at least it was for me. Same thing happened to me with a "new to me FE". Under the bottom plate, on the winder end, are some levers. On mine it was obvious that one got jammed. I wish I could tell you definitely which lever to look for, but I can't. I took off the bottom plate and very gently manipulated the wind arm and could see the jammed lever. The jammed lever was easily unjammed with a very gentle push by a small screwdriver. Once unjammed it has never jammed again. Whatever you do, proceed cautiously.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok so I installed batteries and opened the bottom plate to jiggle the innards a bit. It seems to be working now except for the mirror only comes back down half the way giving me a very dark view and unable to take a shot until I take the lens off and hit the little lever which brings the mirror down fully. The camera has been in storage for years maybe humidity has taken its toll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin