Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,938   Online: 1033

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Premature rewind on Autoloading cameras caused by Re-loadable metal cassettes?

I've started having issues with my F6, but it occurred to me after discussing with a few others that the issue might be caused by my bulk-loaded film. Here's the situation; My reloadable metal cassetes seem to cause my F6 to want to rewind mid roll, after creating a slight grinding noise. Film advance works perfectly (from what i've seen) with commercially loaded casettes, but I've seem to be noticing this problem increasingly with my bulk loaded film. My question is, Is this caused by a slightly bent casette creating some sort of tension and causing the camera to trigger rewind? Or is the film advance in my camera starting to die? The camera was in mint condition when I bought it, apart from a strange smell, but I have no way of telling how many rolls of film were run through it (or do I?).

I suppose I could circumvent this problem by turning off automatic rewind in my camera and shooting over it, but the last thing i'd want to do is damage my film advance.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Two answers, try insulating tape around your cassettes or take the camera to a sex therapist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) Sacrifice a roll and see how much resistance the cassettes really offer.

2) Why would you want auto-rewind on anyway (o.k., I guess fast-action PJ types might...)?

3) If a stiff cassette action could damage an F6, then Nikon doesn't know how to make cameras properly! ;-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Auto wind mechanisms work on inertia so a tight film in reloadable cassette will cause the mechanism to rewind, the answer is to only use new manufacturers films.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you think the problem could be solved by switching over to plastic cassettes?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It might work to use plastic cassettes it's worth giving a try.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin