Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,641   Online: 718

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Cleaning what appears to be foam from OM-1

I decided to get into photography and decided to start with an olympus OM-1. I bought it on the internet, and after receiving it, I noticed what looked like foam in the viewfinder. Would this cause problems, and even if it would not, would it be difficult to clean out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-12-24 14.01.52.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure looks like foam stuck on the viewing screen. Take off the lens and look. I'd guess the mirror is all sticky as well and any other foam seals need replacing. Cleaning it off the screen is not much fun. it's very easy to smear it around and get it embedded in the Fresnel lens and never get it off.

Any change of returning it?
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It could also be that foam has degraded the silvering of the prism. This is a common problem. I have a OM2 that I've had to replace the prism.
    If possible I would return the camera.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately, I can't return it, from looking at it without the mirror is pristine. I see a what appears to be the detached spot on the hazy white glass that is above the mirror, but I was unable to see anything that would have caused the bottom part. Does this sound like it would cause any problems to the photos, because if not I am fine with keeping it the way it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    It could also be that foam has degraded the silvering of the prism. This is a common problem. I have a OM2 that I've had to replace the prism.
    If possible I would return the camera.
    The 2 bigger smears on the bottom look like what Darin is saying above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artillero View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't return it, from looking at it without the mirror is pristine. I see a what appears to be the detached spot on the hazy white glass that is above the mirror, but I was unable to see anything that would have caused the bottom part. Does this sound like it would cause any problems to the photos, because if not I am fine with keeping it the way it is.
    What happens is they use a foam seal where the pentaprism joints are. The foam deteriorates and eats the silver off the mirrors in the prism.
    This issue does not effect what is recorded on the film but can make composing a bit annoying. I guess you can get used to it.

I'd inspect the back foam seals and also the mirror bumper foam as those have probably gone south also.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all of the advice. I was already planning on redoing the foam, figuring that they would have deteriorated with so much time. I'm relieved that those spots shouldn't harm the pictures, as long as too much light doesn't get in.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, you should re-foam the camera. If you live in the U.S., there is a product called "Foamies," which is sold in craft stores, such as Michaels. It's a couple of dollars, and you can probably re-foam about 20 cameras. Plus, if you make a mistake, you simply cut another piece.

Another benefit of Foamies is that the material should have a longer shelf life than replacement foam that you buy.

Then you need a hobby knife and a ruler.

I use a very narrow blade screwdriver to dig the stuff out of the back channels. And then make sure you clean all of the metal parts as best as you can with some lighter fluid and tissues.

I usually can clean and re-foam a camera in about 30 minutes or so. It's well worth the effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are instructions on the web for replacing the prism; apparently not too difficult a task. Replacement prisms can be sourced from later, cheaper OM bodies (OM-10 or OM-PC, I can't remember which) which can often be found for pennies if not functioning. You might want to keep an eye out for one of those and pick one up if you find it.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it was paid with Paypal and the seller didn't reveal the damage in the prism, It can be returned if you make a claim with PP for item not as described.
    The light seal in the body are easy, the damaged prism, not so much.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin