Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,489   Online: 896

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    I always thought the bokeh was very acceptable. Here's an example:

*Acceptable* is certainly in the eye of the beholder...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    I always thought the bokeh was very acceptable. Here's an example:
    Yeah, that's what I remember about it. It just isn't that appealing to me, particularly compared to my Sigma or Zeiss 50mm macro.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Congrats with your nice Christmas present Arthur. I have the lens and the same camera too. It's a great lens: nicely understated colour & contrast (not as over-punchy as some modern lenses), very sharp stopped down just a bit, no problems with focus shift as you change the aperture (not so uncommon with 50's), and above all small, light and cheap.

One minor thing I don't like is how the focus can be slightly (but only slightly) erratic. Not terrible but definitely not as reliable as some other Canons with USM. Bokeh could also be better but again nothing terrible and you can't have it all for under 100 USD/Euros. Once printed or scanned few will be able to tell a difference with say the 50/1.4. Think of how much film, paper and chemistry you can get for the money saved!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had this lens before moving to the 1.4 (now sold), and now a Sigma 1.4 is on it's way. I really did like the 1.8 though. It's super light and super sharp. But I did notice some vignetting wide open when using my Canon Elan 7 so it had to go.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had one of these once. The hood was crap (a separate ring to attach a hood... really? Not even a screw-on hood?), the build was pretty poor (it's taped together inside, so don't drop it on the concrete), but it's hard to make a bad 50mm lens for 35mm film. Ignore the "scene kid" bokeh crowd and just enjoy a super-sharp, lightweight lens . Don't expect the moon, but you will be more satisfied than if you had the yucky mid-'90s kit lenses Canon insisted on bundling with every Rebel.

That was a very good lens. IQ was on par with my 200/2.8 L I used at the time for shooting college hockey. I dropped it once, but I caught it on my shoe like a hacky sack and lowered it safely to the carpet. I don't want to know what it would have done had it just fallen to the floor .

Have fun.
    --Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought one, and used it at my daughter's Christmas pageant on my 60D. It was easy to get good shots with only a midrange ISO, and I was shooting circles around the hapless parents with their high dollar dSLRs, flashing the poor kids and muttering about how they were only getting washed out pics of peoples' heads.
    My Rebel X made its way out of its storage box, and I mounted a battery grip to it, and I may slap the 1.8 on it to burn up some B&W film downtown. I think that'd be a pretty decent low-financial-risk street rig.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used one on 5dm2 and 1v. It's a pretty sharp lens, however you can forget about manual focusing and the bokeh is, frankly, horrendous. I also have one of the latest zuiko 50/1.4s which I use sometimes, but as I found out in another thread, its adapter drains the
    1v battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's hard to think of a better bang-for-the-buck lens. I actually think the ancient-tech 50/2.5 "Compact-Macro" is sharper, at least my samples as I've used them, but that's still a comparison between two very good lenses, and the 50/2.5 is a fair chunk more expensive. The bokeh hasn't bothered me, although I've seen some shots (like the sample above) where I didn't like it---but bokeh is so variable with settings and lighting and all that that it's hard to generalize.

Are the optics the same as the FD 50/1.8? There's a lens that really seems to be able to do no wrong.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drumminor2nd View Post
    the build was pretty poor (it's taped together inside, so don't drop it on the concrete), but it's hard to make a bad 50mm lens for 35mm film. Ignore the "scene kid" bokeh crowd and just enjoy a super-sharp, lightweight lens .
    --Bob
    I dropped mine on concrete (actually, my wife dropped it but the fault was mine since I did not zip the bag shut) and I first thought it was dead. Since she managed to save the 24/2.8 I was happy enough. After a few hours looking at the poor lens in the eyes, I finally was able to snap it back and use it again. I dropped it (saving my 300/4 lens this time ) and snapped it back again... This did not even seem to affect the results, I'm not sure my other lenses would have survived two drops...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin