Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,036   Online: 783

Shooter
    35mm

Hoyarex and Cokin filters

Recently my gran gave me her old Olympus OM-1 and OM10 cameras and a huge variety of old filters which I am unsure of how to use as this is really my first venture into analogue photography apart from as a child with my little barbie camera!! I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what some of these filters should be used for, with what kinds of film and In what sorts of situations. Here are some of them:

A Cokin coef +1 blue (80 c) a022
    A Cokin dreams 3 a093
    A Cokin coef +2 blue (80 a) 020
    A Cokin coef +1/3 yellow a001
    A hoyarex 701 diffraction 2x
    A hoyarex 222 diffusier 2
    A Cokin coef +1 orange a002
    A hoyarex 326 star 6
    A hoyarex 523 gradual t2
    A hoyarex 031 sepia
    A hoyarex 611 pl-linear
    A hoyarex 121 soft spot
    A hoyarex 216 fog half
    A hoyarex 011 skylight 1b

Thanks very much if you can give me some insight

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Rachel

The Hoyarex seem to be special effects filters except for the skylight. The sepia is used to give an antique(ish) effect with color film and the PL linear is a polarizing filter that allows you to reduce reflections, increase saturation with some subjects. It's not hard to use and if you look through it and rotate the filter you should see a change in most subjects. It will not reduce reflection from chrome or mirrors but works well on reflections from glass. It will also deepen the blue sky. but not at all angles.
    The Cokin 80 a and c are color correction used with color films under tungsten light. The orange and yellow are used to increase contrast with black & white film and the dreams is a special effect filter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Rachel

The OM1 is a terrific camera. I use both OM1 and OM2. There are a couple of things you should know if you have no experience of it. First, the Om1 was designed to take an obsolete mercury battery. There are direct-fitting substitutes (wein cells, zinc - air), but are expensive and none last very long. You can't just use a standard button cell. However, you can have the camera converted to use the common SR44 (not LR44 which has different characteristics). Of course, the OM1 works without a battery or meter at all, but it is nicer to use if the meter works. Second, the foam in the camera is prone to rotting. Touch the foam in the door hinge or (carefully) the little pads the mirror hits when it flips up. If either are sticky, its time for a foam change. The big problem is there is foam under the top cover that eats the silvering off the viewfinder prism as it degrades. If you intend to keep and use this camera I strongly recommend a clean, lube, adjust, foam change and battery conversion by Mike Spencer at camerarepairs-r-us.co.uk It'll cost around £60, but your OM will then be good for many more years use. While I'm making recommendations, I get all my film developed and scanned (and occasionally printed) at Photo Express in Hull. The quality is good. Their postal turn around is very fast, and their prices very competitive. The OM1 is a super camera to use, and the relatively cheap zuiko lenses are excellent quality. In fact, once you start looking it is difficult to resist building up a little collection :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin