Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,738   Online: 997

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Nikon EM with the 50mm 1.2 looks quite ridiculous... lol

Actually with the original 50mm 1.8 E series (which I have as well) it's quite compact. I have it right next to my Olympus RC which is just tiny. Smaller even than the Retina IIIc, which was previously mentioned.

I find that the smaller you go, the harder it is to handle quickly and accurately. I fumble some times on the RC, the aperture ring is tiny, and the focus throw is short and not to smooth. Shooting wide open with a very fast lens on a small range finder is just asking for trouble unless you have something that has a good effective base length like a M3 or one of the bessa R3's. Then at that point you are getting into very expensive territory.

A small compact SLR like the EM or maybe an olympus om1 or 2 with a nice 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 will get you shooting in low light for cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    Have a look here: http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

And if you want a "large lens", then there's the Yashica Lynx 14 with a huge f1.4 light sucker.
    Thank you that was a great review!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't thinking SLR but I have an EM.....
    Dunno about that 1.8 lens is that the Nikon pancake?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analog what is that? View Post
    I wasn't thinking SLR but I have an EM.....
    Dunno about that 1.8 lens is that the Nikon pancake?
    It is not really a pancake, but it is very compact. Probably the smallest 50mm that Nikon has made. the 50mm E Series is a nice lens, i like it, though the build is not Nikkor quality.

Also 2.8 on a rangefinder isnt that bad, with a wider 2.8 and some good hand holding you can get shots off and have acceptable results in low light if you pick your shots.

with either slr or rangefinder, going wider will make it easier to hand hold at slower speeds in low light. Honestly maybe just stick to your em and lens, and get faster film or learn to push process. Speed is quite costly, and only an investment if you know you will shoot a lot with it in low light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dunno, for a really small SLR I have an Olympus Pen Ft, with the small 38mm f:1.8 lens -it will give me twice as many pictures per roll also and really good grain on TriX without any push processing!

I was interested in getting the smallest possible 35mm rangefinder/viewfinder camera with a f:2 or larger lens............

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Analog;

I like your chosen label. And, while I do have experience with the Donner Scientific Company Model 30 Desktop Analog Computer, and the Systron-Donner Model 3600 "Desk" Analog Computer (never did get to work with any of the competitive EAS equipment in the same time period), the one that I am most proud about is being the last person to run a simulation on the GEDA, the General Electronic Development Analog computer which was used to develop fire-control (or firing-control) systems for US Naval guns during World War II. It took two days to go through the 8 racks of equipment making some minor repairs and all of the adjustments to get the system ready to have the program board dropped into position and then operate the long lever to bring the program board up into position to make contact with the large connecting socket assembly.

Large lenses? Probably the most impressive "large lens" that I can suggest that you examine is the Canon Model 7 Rangefinder Camera with the Canon f/0.95 50mm lens that projected down abut 1/4 of an inch below the bottom plate of the Canon 7 body.

Yeah, Canon and Nikon (Nippon Kogaku K. K. back then) were in a horsepower race back in the late 1950s with their Model 7 and Model SP rangefinder cameras, and the Canon f/0.95 lens I think was the winner. That was one impressive piece of glass. Even Burt Keppler commented about it. The resolution was not as good as the f/1.4 lens and similar products, but the physical size really was impressive.

It can still be found occasionally, and it is still much less expensive than the current equivalent lenses from Ernst Leitz Wetzlar, or Leica.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Canon RF with 50/0.95 :-)
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't think a Canon with a 50/0.95 or Lynx 14/e counts as a compact camera. Both are the same size or larger than some SLRs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    I don't think a Canon with a 50/0.95 or Lynx 14/e counts as a compact camera. Both are the same size or larger than some SLRs.
    True but I couldn't resist :-)
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    The XA and the 14E are about the same "width" if you are creative with how you orient them...he

Andy

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin