Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,564   Online: 779

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Konica Hexar has already been mentioned above. It's not really compact at all: it's the size of a small SLR with pancake lens, or a Leica M-series. They are fantastic cameras, though. Good lens, clever electronics.

It's not a lot faster than f2.8, but the Fuji Klasse (or Rollei AFM35) is pretty good. It's a 38mm f2.6. I have the Rollei version, and have been very happy with it.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Rollei_AFM35

It's considerably smaller than the Hexar, but not as compact as an Olympus Mju-II [Stylus Epic].

There's also the Fuji Natura-S, but I've never seen one and the lens might be a bit wide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Konica S3 is very good.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Klasse seems promising...... and probably cheaper than its Rollei sibling.....
    I already have a Fuji RF, small compact and very convincing, in my book Fuji cameras was some of the great secrets of japanese film cameras, I have a M42 SLR as well which is a dandy....

([ The handle : I did choose it as a sort of wry comment on the name of this group analog photography what the heck is that? In my book we have photograpy and then this modern digital stuff, I feel there is no need to explain real photograpy at all, and certainly no need to excuse it! ])

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, I got my Rollei AFM35 for less than I've seen the Fuji go for. That may just be chance, or a reflection of the relative scarcity of the Fuji branded models in the UK. I took mine on a trip to Paris a few years back and that was the only camera I took with me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcg_pho...7612348971745/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about the Canon AF35ML Super Sure Shot?

Not a very sexy camera, but I suspect it's just as reliable and useful a P&S as the Olympus XA's, Nikon L35AF, etc.

It's got a 40mm, f/1.9. I think that might be your best bet for fast point & shoot, no?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/sure-shot/af35ml.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    if you are using a fixed-lens rangefinder, point-and-shoot, or scale focus camera, you really dont need a big fast lens since you will not be looking through it to focus.

If you want a big fast lens just cause you think its better than a compact almost-as-fast lens, you are wrong.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want a big fast lens simply because I can get a big fast lens, as big as possible in as small a package as possible, read the first post.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    My Nikon EM with the 50mm 1.2 looks quite ridiculous... lol

Actually with the original 50mm 1.8 E series (which I have as well) it's quite compact. I have it right next to my Olympus RC which is just tiny. Smaller even than the Retina IIIc, which was previously mentioned.

I find that the smaller you go, the harder it is to handle quickly and accurately. I fumble some times on the RC, the aperture ring is tiny, and the focus throw is short and not to smooth. Shooting wide open with a very fast lens on a small range finder is just asking for trouble unless you have something that has a good effective base length like a M3 or one of the bessa R3's. Then at that point you are getting into very expensive territory.

A small compact SLR like the EM or maybe an olympus om1 or 2 with a nice 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 will get you shooting in low light for cheap.
    Amen. I gave up on teensy rangefinders in favor of a Nikon FG--Nikon's smallest-ever SLR with a nice range of features and a bright viewfinder. The pin-sharp little 50/1.8E and the sleeper 100/2.8E make a killer compact kit that fits in a coat pocket. All very affordable. Works for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Contax G1 or 2 with a 45/2 is relatively compact, smaller than the Yashica Lynx anyway(?)
    It's certainly pocketable in a coat or jacket.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yashica Half 14, 32mm 1.4 lens in a half-frame camera. Is that big, fast and compact enough?

http://www.subclub.org/shop/yahalf14.htm

YASHICA HALF14 by ????, on Flickr

pretty hard to find, though.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin