Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,008   Online: 1192

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Older Canon EOS

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Thanks everyone. Lots of good info for me to think about.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Rebel X and Xs are the bottom-of-the-bucket bargains these days. You can get 'em for next to nothing, and my old Rebel X with its cheap kit lens has produced some very nice images. For your price range, you could grab one (the Xs has a flash, the X doesn't) and a decent lens or three for starters.

I also have an A2E in addition to my dSLR Rebel and 60D, but the X is so light and handy that it competes favorably with my Canonet as a discreet "street" camera with the EF 50/1.8 on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by X. Phot. View Post
    I just found this review on the Elan 7. As I only use M42 mount lenses, not supporting manual lenses would kill my desire to own one. But, I would love to get my hands on one to try and prove/disprove that observation.

http://photonotes.org/reviews/eos-elan-7/
    I have a couple of Rebel 2000s that can be had at very reasonable prices .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not be looking to spend any bucks on a body but dedicating my $$'s to the EF lenses. Those L lenses are expensive, even the used variety. They make some very affordable in the US version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a couple of those L lenses. They really are worth every penny, if you can afford one.

I've got the 24-105 F4L IS and the venerable 70-200 F4L IS, both fantastic pieces of glass. The next on the addition block will be the 85 f1.2L II

The great thing about the EOS 35mm line is you can put an L lens on a cheap 5 or 10 dollar EOS film camera and still take a bad ass photo with it. I got a photo somewhere of my Rebel Ti with the 70-200 f4L IS on it.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem with buying into the EOS system isn't the bodies, there's lots to choose from, it's the lenses. They're compatible with the current EOS digital bodies and so tend to be expensive. If money is an issue I would look instead to an 'orphaned' system like Canon FD (manual focus) and the Minolta manual focus systems. Great gear, and dirt cheap.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by X. Phot. View Post
    I just found this review on the Elan 7. As I only use M42 mount lenses, not supporting manual lenses would kill my desire to own one. But, I would love to get my hands on one to try and prove/disprove that observation.

http://photonotes.org/reviews/eos-elan-7/
    I bought an Elan 7 and an Elan 7e in the last 3 months... the only problem I've had with the Elan lineup is poor battery performance in the cold. Really like these cameras with EOS lenses.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I looked into the same question and concluded that they should be fine, although ultimately I ended up with a Rebel X (no gadgets at all and even cheaper, but a newer body with perhaps some metering upgrades and so on). I mean, they all keep the dark in, right? Unless you have specific needs---say, for extreme shutter speeds or unusual metering modes---I think you're fine with any EOS body.

-NT

Good morning, Nathan, and Tim;

May I quote one comment? "I mean, they all keep the dark in, right?"

Well, with the Canon EOS Elan, that may be open to discussion, but for an odd reason.

With normal films, there is not a problem. However, with Infra-Red sensitive film, the Canon EOS Elan does have an IR LED system used with the film sprocket holes to control how the film is transported, and that IR LED in the EOS Elan body does tend to fog IR sensitive film. Again, this is not a problem with all normal film use, but it does become a question if you intend to use Infra-Red film for landscapes and other unusual applications.

Yes, I do happen to have an original Canon EOS-Elan body or two here also. This has allowed me to use my lenses purchased for the Canon DSLR cameras with film also. And, as others have pointed out, that deteriorating foam issue with the original mirror bumpers and the shutter blades is a real annoyance, but once it is cleaned, and the bumper foam replaced with a more modern and durable substitute, they do work well.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Ralph. I don't generally shoot IR in 35mm so that issue didn't occur to me.

It's true that digital compatibility keeps the price up on EOS lenses as compared to "orphan" systems. There are still some very reasonably priced EOS lenses, though---often the older, non-IS, non-USM versions of current lenses lose a lot of value (for instance, look at the 100/2.8 macro). I don't use my EOS film body that much because I find all the automation sort of alienating, but that's my personal hangup, not a comment on the quality of the system.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon battery glut

If I remember correctly it seemed that every different make of Canon EOS camera came with a different battery type. Was all of that really necessary ? What I ended up doing was just buy the holders which all took AA batteries which are sold EVERYWHERE. The battery issue is one of the reasons I went back to the standard A, F & T models of Canons with MA (12 batteries) or the power winder A (4 batteries) AND their use of plastic (OH pardon me... carbon fiber) Of course they got a little economy minded when they came out with the EOS 1n HS and I loaded that with 8 AA eneloop batteries and proceeded to shoot film. To me it just seemed like a waste of time & money to get the special battery + the recycle fee. And I end up with a LARGE collection of rechargeable batteries.

Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 12-31-2011 at 02:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin