Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,249   Posts: 1,680,395   Online: 851

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Older Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up the battery grip for my old X, and I'm pretty happy with it. Only cost me $8 or so, and while I do have a couple sets of 123 batteries left, I'll save 'em for when I want to "shrink" the camera back to its original size/weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    The problem with buying into the EOS system isn't the bodies, there's lots to choose from, it's the lenses. They're compatible with the current EOS digital bodies and so tend to be expensive. If money is an issue I would look instead to an 'orphaned' system like Canon FD (manual focus) and the Minolta manual focus systems. Great gear, and dirt cheap.
    This is also the great thing about the EOS system, all those nice L lenses work on the 35mm film bodies......so if you have the money you can build a wicked AF 35mm setup, which is pretty much what I did.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    I started out with an early EOS and I've had several now.
    I too love the RT with its pellicle mirror and own two of them.
    One is suffering the dreaded sticky shutter syndrome and is waitin for me to gather the motivation and courage to pull it apart and replace the bumpers. I've had a Contaflex in bits but not a full electronic camera but I'll do it one day...
    I've also had a couple of 630s.
    I also have a newer EOS but I've lent it to a friend who is just starting in photography, and it does nothing to excite me and a lot to annoy me especially with its trick of winding all of the film onto the take up spool on loading then winding it back in the can one frame at a time as it is shot.
    The RT is the best fireworks camera I have ever used with no viewfinder blackout you can use bulb mode and track the fireworks handheld for great effects and having 30 second shutter times and multiple exposure mode etc are all nice things.
    The metering is great on them, and I will grab one as my go-to camera if I need quick accurate metering and if I need high shutter speeds for sports action photos.
    For landscapes and tripod shots I tend to go for a manual camera and enjoy the whole process.
    The pellicle mirror on the RT tickled my fancy enough to seek out a decent Canon Pellix which is now one of my favourite manual bodies.

A first generation EOS is a damn good camera and if you can find a nice RT that is a sweet rig, but a 600/630 is nice too...I'm glad I have both!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the 650, two Elan A2's and two Rebels.

The Rebel Ti feels weird with an 800 f5.6L IS on the business end. Next time I get that opportunity I'll be sure to get a picture of it.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went a little stupid acquiring 630s and RTs a few years ago. I ultimately ended up with three 630s and five RTs. It's always nice to have spares. One of my 630s developed the battery drain problem, one landed in a friend's camera bag, and the last one, well...

I sent two of the RTs to a repairman in New Jersey, along with a check covering the repair to both. He cashed the check, then took a year or two to tell me he couldn't finish the job. He kept my money and the cameras. So I lined up three more RTs, and found a more trustworthy repairman (Steve in Sparks NV).

Beyond that I have an EOS 1N, 1N-RS (available to a good home), 3 (ditto), 1V and 5D. I have parted company with an Elan, an Elan 7N, and an EOS 1. Oh, and an 850; what a ridiculous camera that was.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Right now in Spain they're holding the Running of the Bulls,
    followed by the Soiling of the Pants, and the Burying of the Idiots.

X. Phot.
    Interesting on that battery drain issue. I just tossed one of the 630's this past weekend for that exact problem. By the time Tuesday came along I had a replacement body on order, which should arrive Monday. I don't know what the production numbers were for the 630, but at the current rate it should take me some time to deplete the available supply.

The affection for the 850 is understandable. The 750 was also one of those silly cameras.
    Last edited by X. Phot.; 01-05-2012 at 10:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Exercising the keyboard keys.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Well I have a 630, a Rebel and a couple cheaper third party lenses on the way. Still keeping an eye out for a deal on a good 50mm lens. With the cost of the bodies I can understand why some of you have built up a collection.
    Thanks for all the help.

Tim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin