Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,093   Online: 1230

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my thought process, i have electronics, material sensitive to moisture, and lenses that i would like to protect from moisture and would like to store in a dry convenient place. i want something simple like silica. my question is if its adequate or not. some are suggesting using ziplocks but is it really necessary? would a sealed cabinet just work fine as long as a silica can is present?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Another approach that works in a closed cabinet or safe is to raise the temperature so it's higher than ambient temp. There are devises called "Goldenrod" for this, but a low wattage incandescent bulb also works.
    little too complicated for my blood. i would only do this for my guitar if i put it in a display case. i pretty sure silicas enough but i want to make sure its not harmful (im still talking about the color changing one, i have a dehumidifier that changes color to show when the silica needs to be dried out.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's a lot easier to seal a smallish zip lock bag than try to seal a whole cabinet. How complete can you seal an entire cabinet in the first place? Plus, if you use the sealed cabinet method, every time you open the cabinet to take something out, you let fresh moisture into the enclosure which your descant will need to absorb. That means you have to keep refreshing your descant.

Camera manufacturers used to (I haven't seen it for a while) put in those little packet themselves. Based on that, I'd think they are safe. I wouldn't have it directly touching the glass surface, however. How about contacting the people who manufacturer these things and get a data sheet? I'm sure there are more than one kind of these in the market.

Good luck.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I think it's a lot easier to seal a smallish zip lock bag than try to seal a whole cabinet. How complete can you seal an entire cabinet in the first place? Plus, if you use the sealed cabinet method, every time you open the cabinet to take something out, you let fresh moisture into the enclosure which your descant will need to absorb. That means you have to keep refreshing your descant.

Camera manufacturers used to (I haven't seen it for a while) put in those little packet themselves. Based on that, I'd think they are safe. I wouldn't have it directly touching the glass surface, however. How about contacting the people who manufacturer these things and get a data sheet? I'm sure there are more than one kind of these in the market.

Good luck.
    Not looking for a complete seal, airtight seal. im just trying to keep out the dust. the silica should do well for the moisture. If i wanted a data sheet i would have contacted the manufacture but thats not what im looking for. statistics are just numbers, im looking for real life experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh and my thoughts of avoiding ziplock bags. im just to lazy. id rather just take item out and put it back and that's it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the case of a safe, would think that a complete seal would be as likely to trap moisture in as anything else, and would therefore be counter-productive.

If dust is your main concern, then something like a plastic bin inside a larger bin or cupboard would be the best solution.

Especially if placed in a room with an air cleaner operating.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    In the case of a safe, would think that a complete seal would be as likely to trap moisture in as anything else, and would therefore be counter-productive.

If dust is your main concern, then something like a plastic bin inside a larger bin or cupboard would be the best solution.

Especially if placed in a room with an air cleaner operating.
    good idea!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silica beads, rice and cat litter can only absorb so much water then they stop working. I use this:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Silica beads, rice and cat litter can only absorb so much water then they stop working. I use this:
    haha love it! overkill!

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going to second the opinion that this is really only an issue if you live in a very humid area. My lenses are kept in a sealed container (Pelican type or a airtight tupperware type) with multiple dessicant packs. Once a year (around the winter solstice), they come out, get exercised and aimed at the sun for about hour. The dessicant packs are re-dried in the oven before everything gets packed up again. This is certainly overkill, as my rangefinders are just stored in either a non-sealed plastic bin or glass display cabinets and there has never been any problem with these (Dallas is not a very humid place).

If you really want to go overboard, a self defrosting refrigerator is the best and easiest bet. The defrosting circuit is a dehumidifier that keeps the air inside quite dry. Put the lenses in bins with a dessicant first to make sure there is no moisture to condense when the lenses cool down. My Pen lenses are stored this way but this is more a hedge against fire and burglary, and Pen lenses don't take up much room no matter where your store them!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin