Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,587   Online: 902

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Hello. Been wanting to break out my little Rollei 35, but I can't find the battery as it's Mercury. Anyone know of a suitable replacement that wont affect the meter, or if it does, how to compensate?
    I've been using hearing aid zinc air cells in my Nikons and my meters. I made my own adapters out of nylon stock on a lathe. Also, I block off three of the four airholes. This gives a cell life of 9 months or more - I don't really know how long, the cell in my Nikkormat was put in last April 1.

For your Rollei, you may be able to find an O-ring at your local hardware that will hold it centered in the compartment. I don't remember the # of the cells I use, but they are the size of an S-76 and come out to just under 50 cents each.

Edit - The cells are #675.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-30-2011 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recommend the CHRIS adaptor highly. I use them in my Leica CL camera, Weston Ranger and Metrastar meters as well as a couple of other cameras and the exposure meters were near spot on when compared to using the PX625. I do agree that if the unit can be recalibrated to use an alkaline battery it would be a godd way to go, maybe the better though more expensive than the CHRIS. I had my CL gone through just before the mercury battery issue arose but, if it needed any other work again, I'd have it recalibrated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The adapters that use hearing aid cells (#675) work well, and those cells are really, really cheap. It's easy to keep a couple of unused batteries in each bag (and I have way too many bags).

The CRIS adapters are great as well - I used one for a long time in an OM1 that I sold a while ago.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hearing aid cells are wonderful. They work in most -70's mercury cell cameras. What comes to Rollei 35 in particular I think its meter is no good. It fails just when you need it (in the shadows or inside). It seems to need a certain amount of light to wake up. I'm happier without it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these?
    You can "re-use" the Wein cell the same way. That is, the ring slides off and can be re-used on a fresh battery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin