Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,207   Online: 1175

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Suitable PX-13 / PX625 for Rollei 35

Hello. Been wanting to break out my little Rollei 35, but I can't find the battery as it's Mercury. Anyone know of a suitable replacement that wont affect the meter, or if it does, how to compensate?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wein cells work but start losing the charge a lot quicker than the old mercurys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is there anything that will work as well? I don't like picking up my camera only to find that it has a dead meter.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Several options:

The one I find most practical, though it requires an initial outlay, is a CRIS-type adapter which resizes and lowers the voltage of commonly available silver cells.
    You *can* make such an adapter yourself, though it isn't that simple.

Alternatively, you can have the camera's meter re-adjusted for 1.5 volts and use a silver cell + a wad of aluminium foil to adapt ther size. Or even just adjust the ISO setting yourself to compensate.

Hearing aid batteries essentially work like Wein cells, but are muich cheaper (also need some size adapting trick like a foil wad).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been happy with hearing aid batteries and some padding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Can anyone be specfic about which hearing aid cells will work?

Howard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We just got one of these Rolleis the LED modle but even with a battery the meter doesn't work.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these?
    It's just a shim, albeit a nicely-machined 8 buck shim. Some use rubber washers, others use foil to snug up the fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Anyone know of a suitable replacement that wont affect the meter, or if it does, how to compensate?
    The CRIS adapter is probably the smoothest way to go. Buy it, put the cells in it, and drop it in. That's easy, and your meter will have the correct voltage.

HOWEVER...

You may end up with meter issues anyway, and as I recently discovered, meter repairs are not easy...at least not on the SE. I just had someone look through mine, and the meter can't be fixed (no repair parts available). As a result, I'm going to be using mine as an unmetered camera, and just carry a small light meter with me for when I can't make an accurate guess as to the exposure. Thus, the EASIEST solution is not to even worry about the meter and either use your best guess or calculate exposure externally...both of which are faster than using the meter in the camera!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin