Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,521   Online: 1081

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post

I actually really wanted to shoot MF as I think a waist level finder (and large film size) is ideal for me,
    There are probably a thousand 35mm cameras that meet your parameters. I'd recommend a Yashica 124G.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another idea, The early Canon are very cheap right now. I have been using my 630 for over twenty years. It is autofocus, has an excellent meter and power film advance built in. You can buy one from KEH with return priveleges.
    You will be off and running for a lot less than you budget.

H

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want built in meter then stay away from those that use mercury battery. I know I will get flamed for saying this but I don't think any of them has very accurate meter even with the right battery. On your list I think the XD-11 is good. I do think the Nikon FM (FM2 etc..) would have good meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're mainly leaving one lens on, I'll also recommend a Pentax Spotmatic.
    The remaining disadvantages: slightly murky viewfinder (not a big problems with a fairly wide wide), slow metering and averaging meter (as opposed to spot or center-weighted) may or may not be important to you.
    On the good side, they're cheap, very reliable and have good ergonomics.

A number of good lenses are available for it, including the Zeiss Jena 25mm. Also look for Mamiya M42 lenses.

IMHO the Yashica FX3 isn't especially durable and the leatherette falls apart very quickly.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    If you want built in meter then stay away from those that use mercury battery. I know I will get flamed for saying this but I don't think any of them has very accurate meter even with the right battery.
    Nonsense....
    I have several cameras made for mercury batteries and find their meters accurate enough for any purpose (and the ones with a spotmeter tend to give much more accurate results than some more "advanced" meter cell technology using a wider measuring field - but that is also my preference and way of working).

The most important thing is learning to use the meter you have to its utmost.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    This is off the wall but go into a local thrift store and pickup an old point and shoot 35mm camera. For five dollars and under is a ton of fun and no worry about having the camera ripped off! My favorite is the Nikon L35 AF, fairly wide angle and takes great pictures. Another favorite is the Olympus XA 2, zone foucus, fits in a shirt pocket, and sharp pictures. Both of these are great street shooters, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a Nikon F3HP with a winder. Great viewfinder, rugged as hell, lots of lens options, and in a pinch can be used as a defensive weapon without causing to much damage. To the camera, that is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use whatever camera you already have. Bring a friend who can watch your back. Preferably a big, hairy, ugly friend with tattoos and scars and missing teeth. Even in the hood there are few who will try to steal your camera. They would rather take your wallet for the cash than to get a camera that they have to sell to get money. It is more likely that they will chase you to beat the pulp out of you for taking their picture -- either because they are engaged in some sort of illegal activity, or are wanted by the law, or are just shy... or just becuase they know "you aren't from there". Wear good shoes that will allow you to run fast. Don't drive a nice car either and park it on the streets in a ghetto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh... and show no fear. They can see fear on your face. Sometimes I think they can even smell fear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep in mind that with any of the Yashica FX series, you can use Carl Zeiss lenses, if you are inclined to spend truckloads of money.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin