Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,014   Online: 690

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The suggestion is good, so I'm going to second it: Nikon FG with 24/2.8. That's the combo that I've been running around town with for the last few weeks.

It's one of the nicest handling cameras I've ever had: smaller and lighter than any other SLR, BUT, and this is big, it has a handgrip bump on it that makes it very easy to handle. I had OM1s for ten years, and they do not handle well, all the other things that they are aside. I use an old-fashioned thin strap wrapped around my right wrist a couple of times and leave the camera hanging at my side by my fingertips. If you think chrome is more invisible than black, chrome will save you $10 off the ridiculously cheap $50 a good one costs.

The camera's dirt cheap, easy to replace if something happens to it, it takes a full line of easily available lenses, even a lot of current ones work. It has aperture priority auto, which I use, or manual and program, which I don't. There's not much to go wrong in the camera, and if it does, you throw it away and buy another.

I can't believe people have suggested things like F3+winder (and a wheelbarrow, perhaps?), or any old Canon--possibly the largest and heaviest 35mm film cameras ever made, with a now-obscure lens mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F3+MD4+gym membership is the best preventative health program one can subscribe to!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    I do plan on trying to go out to sea, but not in any rough weather, and I've done it before with my DSLR and it was fine, though not with flying fish

SO many choices with no clear consensus (people seem to prefer Nikon though) that I'll probably have to just resort to seeing what the best deals are on eBay (you can tell some of these sellers have no clue based on the spartan descriptions, so a big selling point for me is pictures and good description about shutter speeds, working meter, light seals, etc.). But, I am a lot more knowledgeable about 70s-80s SLRs than I was yesterday, very happy !

As for the metering, thanks for the help, and maybe I am being overly concerned but I guess that is what happens when you have lcd screens and histograms

My project may take more than a year to complete, so I'll be in it for the long run, and it has many aspects to it. I dont intend to win any awards, but it is just something I feel compelled to do.
    Well there most certainly are a lot to choose from so here are some pictures from my own to help you do that . . .

Link to larger version -> Suggestions
    1. Pentax ME Super - Smallest manual/aperture priority. If you want the lightest setup, this and M series 28mm lens is it.
    2. Olympus OM-4T - Next smallest with manual/aperture priority and only one with spot metering which is as accurate as my Sekonic 758. Don't let the size fool you as it is of pro quality build.
    3. Nikon FM3A - Smallest Nikon with manual/aperture priority and the only camera ever with all shutter speeds available when batteries are drained. Newest of the bunch and likely in better shape.
    4. Pentax LX - Smallest interchangeable viewfinder with manual/aperture priority and most shutter speeds available when batteries drained. Build quality is second to none and line tested for weather proofing.
    5. Nikon F3 - Pro Nikon with interchangeable viewfinder with manual/aperture priority. It may not be much larger then the others but weighs a bit more then the FM3A. Used by NASA.
    6. Canon F-1N - Pro Canon with interchangeable viewfinder with manual/aperture priority. Clearly biggest and heaviest and can be used for self defense.

The Pentax and Olympus both have off the film metering and are ranked as having the most sensitive unassisted meters ever. The LX can meter a scene hours long.

Good luck choosing one . . .

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    The suggestion is good, so I'm going to second it: Nikon FG with 24/2.8. That's the combo that I've been running around town with for the last few weeks.

It's one of the nicest handling cameras I've ever had: smaller and lighter than any other SLR, BUT, and this is big, it has a handgrip bump on it that makes it very easy to handle. I had OM1s for ten years, and they do not handle well, all the other things that they are aside. I use an old-fashioned thin strap wrapped around my right wrist a couple of times and leave the camera hanging at my side by my fingertips. If you think chrome is more invisible than black, chrome will save you $10 off the ridiculously cheap $50 a good one costs.

The camera's dirt cheap, easy to replace if something happens to it, it takes a full line of easily available lenses, even a lot of current ones work. It has aperture priority auto, which I use, or manual and program, which I don't. There's not much to go wrong in the camera, and if it does, you throw it away and buy another.

I can't believe people have suggested things like F3+winder (and a wheelbarrow, perhaps?), or any old Canon--possibly the largest and heaviest 35mm film cameras ever made, with a now-obscure lens mount.
    It's a sweet little camera and the smallest SLR Nikon made. Suspect the FG often gets confused with its dumb kid brother, the EM, and ignored as incapable. Good viewfinder. LED meter readout(great for lowlight/night shooting). TTL flash metering. Well-made(full metal chassis).Giveaway priced and usually in remarkably good shape since most were "birthday" cameras that saw only occasional use. Makes a great, highly portable kit when coupled with a 50/1.8E and 100/2.8E.

Shooter
    35mm
    Although there is not much size difference between the FG (490g), F3 (760g) and FM3A (570g), there is a substantial weight difference between them. The other Nikons (FE, FE2, FM, FM2, FA) are similar in size and weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to say, the Nikon FM3A (all black), Leica R5 and the Contax S2b take my pick for best looking slr cameras ... maybe add one of those to my long term wishlist as they a pretty expensive (the Leica is surprisingly cheap, but as always, they get you with the lens cost).

The Nikon FG looks really good! Its super cheap and for 50.00 I could get a really nice working copy (quick search on eBay). I think this may be the one !

One last request! Can anyone point me to a good (and cheap) Nikon 24/28mm (large aperture, >= f2.8) on eBay (I prefer buy-it now or one where the auction is ending soon)? I see a few lenses, but I can't tell which lenses are for modern Nikons and which are for old SLR cameras. I know with Minolta you look for MC/MD, same thing for Canon. Not sure about Nikon though. If I can find a good lens for Nikon, I'll go with the FG!

Thanks for all the help guys and the overwhelmingly warm welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    35mm
    A Nikkor for the FG has to be AI, AIS or AI'd. Series E lenses are the more cost effective versions. Check out KEH too as they do offer money back and their BGN is usually a most excellent anywhere else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    I have to say, the Nikon FM3A (all black), Leica R5 and the Contax S2b take my pick for best looking slr cameras ... maybe add one of those to my long term wishlist as they a pretty expensive (the Leica is surprisingly cheap, but as always, they get you with the lens cost).

The Nikon FG looks really good! Its super cheap and for 50.00 I could get a really nice working copy (quick search on eBay). I think this may be the one !

One last request! Can anyone point me to a good (and cheap) Nikon 24/28mm (large aperture, >= f2.8) on eBay (I prefer buy-it now or one where the auction is ending soon)? I see a few lenses, but I can't tell which lenses are for modern Nikons and which are for old SLR cameras. I know with Minolta you look for MC/MD, same thing for Canon. Not sure about Nikon though. If I can find a good lens for Nikon, I'll go with the FG!

Thanks for all the help guys and the overwhelmingly warm welcome to APUG!
    There's a silver model FG on KEH right now for about $30. Seriously. Here's a link: http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manu...990483200?r=FE

I got away from eBay lenses and instead went to KEH for that, as well...mostly because they have a return policy that's not questionable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a lens: http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manu...000023120?r=FE

I can't believe someone actually listened to me...I'm seriously not used to that. I love this forum!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And a 28mm, same price: http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manu...102007950?r=FE

KEH's bargain grade is okay on lenses. It sounds bad, but you have to realize that "Excellent" is only one grade over "bargain" in their books. I've bought both...excellent lenses certainly look better (which you don't care about), but the bargain grades are perfectly workable. If you have any questions, also, just call them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin