Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,502   Online: 837

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go pick up the $50 FX-3 Super 2000 in the FS Classified ads here. Then snap up some good Yashica or great Contax Zeiss glass with the remaining $450.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pick up a Nikkor 28/2.8 AI-S manual focus. I am very happy with mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may pick up OM-1 or OM-1n with a 28mm zuiko. Street photography may not need metering for every single shot.

Just set the meter for one shot and the rest is just focus and shoot. If you are little concerned about the correct exposure than OM-2 or OM-2n.

+1 for the view finder in OM-1(n) so always recommended.

A winder/motor drive will make you happy, but it may not be compact.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 01-02-2012 at 12:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Although there is not much size difference between the FG (490g), F3 (760g) and FM3A (570g), there is a substantial weight difference between them. The other Nikons (FE, FE2, FM, FM2, FA) are similar in size and weight.

Sorry, Les, but your police line-up shot is a bit misleading. Apart from the apparently slight weight difference, the FG really is a tiny camera compared to the FM/FE variants and the F3.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can get a top-shape Pentax ME Super or Super Program with a 28 and 50 for less than $200, CLA'd (via Eric). Small, light, exceptional, especially the metering. With the extra $$ you save think of all the film and processing you can afford. These are very unassuming cameras that are classic SLR styles. The ME Super with the 28/3.5 is actually smaller than my Yashica Electro GSN.;; it's pocketable. Also quite rugged and very good VF's.

IMHO, having tried all brands of cameras, all glass is good. A few duds, a few wowzers, but all brands made very good glass.
    Last edited by Aristophanes; 01-02-2012 at 03:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, there's a noticeable difference between the F3 and the FG...especially the weight. I've got a few Nikon bodies, but I'm about ten seconds from picking up an FG just to have one. I think it'd be a great lightweight body to carry, and it would give me interchangeable lenses...something I'm lacking in my QL 17 and Rollei 35. I'd love to have a Leica CL, but funds won't let me afford the glass for it...and I'm also saving for large format equipment, which I also need to buy cheaply.

Anyway, yeah, the FG is a tiny little thing. Tiny is good when you're walking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Sorry, Les, but your police line-up shot is a bit misleading. Apart from the apparently slight weight difference, the FG really is a tiny camera compared to the FM/FE variants and the F3.
    Misleading as in it would benefit me to adjust camera angles in favor of one over the other for some unknown reason? Just how tiny did you think the FG is? The FG just feels tiny due to the disparity in weight particularly compared to an F3. Of course you can download the manuals so you can verify the absolute dimensions listed below.
    1. FG - 136 X 87.5 X 54
    2. FM - 142 X 89.5 X 60.5
    3. FM3A - 142 X 90 X 58
    4. FE - 142 X 89.5 X 57.5
    5. FA - 142.5 X 92 X 64.5
    6. OM-1 - 136 X 83 X 50
    7. MX - 135.5 X 82.5 X 49.5

Perhaps a more "technical" representation would be better since I do have them available and they are all so photogenic . . .

Larger version -> Cameras By Name

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow ... you own all those cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    but considering I have to buy audio equipment to conduct interviews (you think photography is expensive? Not compared to video and audio equipment it isn't), so overall, wherever I can save some money, I'll take that route (eBay - FTW!)..
    If it's of any use to you, Laroy, I've got a Sony MZ-R70 minidisk recorder you're welcome to have and I could toss in a couple of used disks. I don't use them anymore. If you'd like them, just PM me with your address and I'll post 'em off.

Les

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    Wow ... you own all those cameras?
    Sorry but I am a late starter. Part of my immersion . . .

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin