Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,836   Online: 783

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hopeless living anachronism now joining the ranks!

Hi everyone,

I am a 30 year old graduate student of Applied Linguistics at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas who went backwards in time from the digital age to the analog age. I got bit by the analog photography bug in April 2010 and now have a huge collection of around 20+ 35mm and 5 motion picture film cameras bought on the cheap (with some in need of repair).

I am glad to have found a board with people who still love film and other forms of analog photography. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Luddite who hates digital photography; I have a gorgeous navy blue digital Pentax K-x (I confess, I'm a Pentax man) and I use it when it's called for, but I love film.

I have been so worried about the huge decline of film. When most people ask me why I still bother with film, I tell them that I want to leave a legacy. My negatives will outlast me for a long time if stored properly (especially those four boxes of Kodachrome slides I had the lucky chance to shoot). Most people look at me as if I were a nutjob: an old fogey in a young body.

I hope I don't sound crazy, but I have also devoted myself to finding old camera repair manuals and learning how film cameras work. I want to preserve this wonderful technology considered obsolete by the rest of the world.

Well, the nervous newcomer introduction is now over.

Since I can't post links until I have more than 5 posts, you can visit my Flickr page from my profile to see my wonderful film shots.

Cordially,

TexasLangGenius
    Typical digital zombies say: "Adapt or die!" "The world is changing, change with it!" "Analog is old and nasty! EEEEEEEWWWWWW!" "Why should I pay money for getting my pictures when I can have everything NOW?" "Why shoot manual when you can have the camera do everything automatically?"

Primary 35mm camera - Pentax K1000
    Secondary 35mm camera - Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL - M42 Mount
    Medium Format: Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Tex !

Ron

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A warm welcome to you! Love to hear you've been bitten by the analog bug! Tis fun times indeed, I like too getting a lens or what not in need of repair and taking it apart. Is a joy to learn how things were made before LCDs, wifi things, etc.

Look forward to your offerings here!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is awesome I thought I was the only person who still used film in Lubbock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! Have you considered Medium format?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! Have you considered Medium format?

Jeff
    Well, I have my grandfather's old Kodak Brownie Target Six-16 that I modified to take 120 film. The results have been fantastic! I also have a Holga I play around with on occasion, but I really can't afford a legendary medium format right now (like a Mamiya. Hassleblad is waaaaaaaay out of my price range for now). I pour all the money I have available into stockpiling film. I've emptied a good portion of my freezer to dedicate to film (only the front is for my stereotypical graduate student frozen meals ). I am beginning to stockpile lots of 120 film, though.
    Typical digital zombies say: "Adapt or die!" "The world is changing, change with it!" "Analog is old and nasty! EEEEEEEWWWWWW!" "Why should I pay money for getting my pictures when I can have everything NOW?" "Why shoot manual when you can have the camera do everything automatically?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hicpics View Post
    This is awesome I thought I was the only person who still used film in Lubbock.
    Cool! I felt the same way!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG! I've never been to Texas but I do have a Masters in Applied Linguistics so that makes at least two of us on APUG. Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the gallery!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Tex from England,I too have never been to Texas or indeed the U.S, but believe it or not one of my sons has been to Lubbock, and I know that Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly were from there
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from another Pentaxian!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin