Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,437   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you everyone heaps for replying. everyone is so friendly. i'd really love to hear more about the photojournalism part of photography - are there any rules? liability?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyna
    thank you everyone heaps for replying. everyone is so friendly. i'd really love to hear more about the photojournalism part of photography - are there any rules? liability?
    What do you mean about 'liability'? Legal, ethical?

Shooter
    35mm

photojournalism

thank you to everyone who replied!!! i'd just like to know a bit more about photojournalism. Are there any rules or regulations? Liability? i'd really appreciate anything you have to say.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You're on the right track - keep asking the question if you don't get a good response you're after ....
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Chyna, and have a wonderful time on your life-long adventure in photography.

Allow me to take a slightly different tack than previous responses to your question. IMHO, photography can be approached either as an art (do your own thing with style) or a craft (generally follow traditional guidelines). People with pens in their hand, ready to scribble on things called checks, usually expect a lot of craft, but are often delighted to consider a bit of art within that craft. In other words, it's often wise to produce what the client (the person with the checkbook) expects, but don't be afraid to show them alternatives that take a fresh creative approach. Assignments are generated to achieve an objective. The better you understand the objective, the better you'll be able to fulfill or exceed the expectations.

Each sub-category of photography has standards - professional practices that are often unwritten, but to which conformance is absolutely expected. These professional standards vary a bit between the sub-categories, but generally have to do with honesty and ethics. A good source of information on these are the professional photographic associations (e.g. PPA, ASMP, etc.), most of which have a published codes of ethics.

The variations between sub-categories can be striking. A photojournalist, for example, is expected to be absolutely "truthful" in their photographs (e.g. no retouching allowed). In contrast, a portrait photographer who doesn't master retouching will not be very successful. Similarly advertising photographers are allowed great creative latitude. Note that all of these restrictions relate back to the underlying objective for the photograph.

Additionally, there are a few laws of which photographers need to be aware. These generally deal with privacy (when, where, and under what circumstances you can photograph a person), what use you can make of the photographs (see discussions on model releases - www.pdnonline.com is a good resource - look for the "Business Resources" link on the left), and copyright (copyright laws vary between countries).
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Chyna!

I can't help you one little bit since the only people who even like my photos are my family! But I did want to welcome you here!

Relax, learn & enjoy! (Did you understand anything Leon said????)
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin