Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,511   Online: 875

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hi all from Blackpool, Lancashire, UK

Gonna have to admit now that I didn't even know that the APUG existed and I just randomly found you all by Googling 'Olympus OM forum', which gave me a link to one of your Groups.

What a fantastic site. While I do have an interest in digital imaging, I think it's important that sites like this exist where users and enthusiasts of 'traditional' photography can hang-out without feeling like an anachronism.

Bit about me...my real name is John, I'm partially sighted and have only one arm but I have a masochistic penchant for Olympus OM gear. 'Masochistic' of course because using manual-focus gear is not too easy when provided with one-less than the median-average quantity of arms, but I still enjoy it.

One of my interests is creating double-projector slide-shows, which these days seem to be called diaporamas, but which used to be called 'slide/tape' (though I no longer use tape). Of course that was a minority-interest even when film was still king so I'm probably the only known human being still doing it this way lol. But again, as with the OMs, I enjoy the challenge and the creativity, which importantly is (mostly) away from a darn computer! I already spend most of my days sat in front of a PC, one way or another.

Anyway, thank you for reading through my blurb. I hope I can contribute in a small way to your site.
    Last edited by Oly_Man; 01-29-2012 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: bit more info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello John and welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John.

Welcome to APUG.

I use Olympus OM equipment too, and (mostly) one-handed.

Mine's the left hand - which one is yours?

Are you using a dissolve unit? The last time I put together one of those shows, it was with a dissolve unit, two Ektagraphic projectors, and a cassette tape unit.

Hope you enjoy your time here.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Matt, it's the right hand I've got, which is lucky in one respect because that's where all the buttons are

Yes, I use a dissolve unit: Imatronic SX2000C, along with two Kodak 2050s. I used to use tape, but mostly now everything is prepared on my laptop (soundtrack, signals) before burning it as a multichannel audio DVD: front two channels for stereo audio and one of the rear channels for signals.

I love it. I love getting away from the computer to create a piece of work I'm happy with. No one seems happy these days unless they're using a computer to do it. I actually enjoy the process of making 'traditional' slide-shows (other than cleaning and glass-mounting the transparencies, which I hate!). I enjoy that it takes some time; investing the time is part of the hobby to me. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry these days..."can't believe you're still using film and projectors", they say, "don't you know that doing the same thing on a computer would be ten times faster?". And my answer is "So what?". It's not a race, it's hobby, and for me the process is as enjoyable as the result

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John, welcome to APUG! We're glad to have you here.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the APUG jungle....lots of people will tell you how much easier and quicker it is to do things on the computer, and then tell you 5 seconds later how long they spent doing this or that! Lmso........
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello John and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi John,
    Welcome to APUG from the other side of the pond. I like to shoot slides and project them but have never made a slide show with two projectors. Mostly just slide shows of family stuff. As long as you don't say "film is dead" you'll fit right in here.

ME Super

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from Southampton John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And welcome from slightly south of Southampton!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin