Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,271   Online: 766

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Howdy from Houston TX

Hi! I've been lurking around APUG a while, but after watching a member here I know on a non-photo board have so much fun, I finally succumbed.

So, my Canon A-1 outfit showed up today.... Man, didn't realize how much I'd missed this thing until I got it in my hands. I know its not a "great" camera in the long run, but I grew up on it, photographically speaking.

And this luck-of-the-draw hoping-for-the-best see-what-I'll-get ebay auction turned out a mint (looking) condition specimen with no obvious issues, plus a nice pile-o-accessories. Even has near-mint manuals for every piece. All the seals look great...it's really been cared for. The kind of owner that writes the serial numbers in the manual.

Other than the basic (but lovely IMO) 50mm 1.8, it came with a usable set of non-Canon 28-135mm and 70-210mm lenses, and their matching tele-converters. I'd prefer some different Canon prime lenses but these will work fine for what I'm capable of, getting back into things. (Two of the lenses had hard stuck aperture's... First time I've taken apart a lens, but the 50mm turned out pretty easy to get into and clean the oil on the blades up, and it's nice and snappy now. The 28-135 is going to be a bigger project with the mechanism buried in the middle of the elements, so going to return to that one this weekend.)

Now...just need to see if it really works. Dropped off a roll of snaps on color at the CVS just to see what turns out. (Also talked to the "last real lab in Houston" earlier this week...nice place...spendy, but nice. Also looks like there is still one place left around renting darkroom time.) Normally I've done mainly black and white, but I'd like to try working with some color too.

Sadly, I lost all my darkroom (and camera) gear to a theft and later someone else who didn't pay a storage bill...10 years ago? So I'm starting all over in the non-digital world.

Still. Even the quick snaps I was doing for a test felt like magic. I miss film, I just didn't reailize how much.

So. Hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi! Welcome to APUG!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. I've just recently moved away from Houston, which is a wonderful city for photography. There are a number of world class galleries, it serves as the home of Fotofest and the MFA has a wonderful collection. If you are interested in classes, the MFA's Glassell School offers a wide variety of wet darkroom classes. Houston Center for Photography also offers a variety of classes as well as, a variety of first rate programs throughout the year. One of the programs offered by HCP is "First Tuesday" where you have the opportunity to trot your work out in front of a group of other photographers and discuss what you are doing. There are many shows and lectures throughout the year, one of which I just drove three hours each way to see. It was worth it. Houston Photographic Society is also a great place to get involved and grow. Enjoy your "new" camera and enjoy Houston. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello and welcome from near Houston. Ditto what Bill just said... this is a great place for photography! Hope to see you around.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG. Canon A-1 is a great camera, I had it for a long time.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi there from Southeastern PA. Welcome to APUG and back to analog!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello DCat22 and welcome to APUG. The thrill of starting over again. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone!

Picked up my snaps this morning, and looks like the camera works fine. And they were not quite as bad as I thought either, considering I haven't worked much with a flash (or color)... I look forward to doing B&W print work in a darkroom again soon though.

I checked out the MFA/Glassell site and didn't see much other than digital darkroom stuff, but may not have dug deep enough. I'll take another look. And at the other groups. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin