Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,853   Online: 734

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

New to APUG - From Seattle, WA, USA.

Hi all,

I'm new here. I am also laymonk777 over at RFF. I am returning to serious film photography after 34 years. During that time, I did take pictures the snapshots on vacation, the obligatory family photos, and whatnot but my heart wasn't really in it. I've used P&S 35mm, disposables, APS/ Advantix, my then fiancee's Kodak Disc, 110 and of course several versions of Polaroids!

In 1977/78 I was taking photography classes in school and was getting serious in shooting and developing 35mm with my father's Leica MIII. It's the thing I really wanted to do with my life. I had a dream to go pro, but was strongly discouraged. Nice to have the support but I digress.

I took notice of the Lomography movement and was dinking around with LOMO effects with my cell phone pictures. I was enthralled with the light leaks and other effects for images I used to trash as "bad photos". Ironic, and compelling at the same time.

I realized that I had to go back to film and make it an art form in this time. Could it be fun again? I sincerely hope so!

I'm stumbling my way through it, but having more fun than I have in years. I'm not trying to do anything with this except have fun, and maybe catch up for years of lost time.

My kit is mostly 35mm RF: Contax IIIa with assorted lenses and viewfinders (Still figuring out the specs!), 2 Yashica 35 GS and GSNs. I seem to have an affinity for the fixed lens rangefinder cameras from the mid to late 70s (no surprise). I'm also experimenting with the Polaroids again; Spectra system and SX-70 type.
    Last edited by laymonk777; 03-05-2012 at 01:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wordy and adding kit info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. I have family in Seattle.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like the perfect way to get back into film, welcome to APUG.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome. I am a new member here and am from Seattle too. Maybe I will bump into you some day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, from just a few miles north of you, in Canada.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like you have the most important ingredient of all -- wanting to do it! The rest falls into place...best of luck and I think you'll find APUG is a terrific place to gain knowledge and spark new ideas. I basically wouldn't have my current level of knowledge and practice without the information and inspiration here.

Also, Seattle is a great city...wonderful place for photography. Best of luck!
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from an even fewer miles north of you off the Stevens Pass highway in the Monroe/Sultan area.

It's snowing here right now. How about you?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, I hope you enjoy being here.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My home is in the deserts of Utah, but my heart is in the PNW

I'm a big fan of the spectra system too.

Welcome to APUG.
    Happy reading and, more importantly, happy shooting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. Having fun is what it is all about! Glad you found this site.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin