Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,569   Online: 762

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello to all...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hello to all...

Hello everyone!

Am so happy to have found this group! My experiences lately with both 'Camera Clubs' and 'Digital Enthusiasts' have left me looking for people who share a love for traditional photography.

Most of what I would say regarding the above has been covered in other threads, by better writers than myself, so I won't beat dead horses...much.

Re: Digital. My only gripe is when the attitude of the person preaching digital to me seems to be: 'It is not enough that Digital Suceed, Film must also Fail'. I don't see why it has to be one or the other, both can exist in parallel. I prefer traditional photography, I don't need to justify it.

Re: Camera Clubs. Conformity...lack of intelligent comment...exclusive groups within groups...massive exodus to digital.

The last meeting I attended the winning color print was a beautiful composition of three WWII fighters in perfect formation against a glowing sky. Later I was told the picture was done by taking an original shot of three 1/4 scale model planes hanging in an airport lobby somewhere in the USA. They were lifted out via PS and placed against a sky of clouds with golden light suffusing through the clouds also courtesy of PS.

If that floats your boat, great, but I'm heading a different direction.

If anyone can direct me to a resource that would help me figure out how to get my photos to a postable state I would appreciate it. All I have is a flat bed scanner.

thanks,
    Rocky

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, Rocky! You'll feel right at home here

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    If anyone can direct me to a resource that would help me figure out how to get my photos to a postable state I would appreciate it. All I have is a flat bed scanner.
    It's simple, really: Make prints, scan them. That's what most of us do
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings and welcome. As Ole says just scan away and post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Hello everyone!

Re: Digital. My only gripe is when the attitude of the person preaching digital to me seems to be: 'It is not enough that Digital Suceed, Film must also Fail'. I don't see why it has to be one or the other, both can exist in parallel
    You're quite right of course, but that isn't always how psychology works. If you have made a choice you are not 100% confident in, the failure of what you abandoned might seem to justify you.

Welcome aboard from another newcomer. David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Rocky! Glad you found this site.
    Ralph Barker has some simple steps for scanning prints for posting on his website. They are designed to help the scan look more like the original print than for heavy PS manipulation. Maybe he will post here with his site info, or PM him to get the info.
    Good luck and I look forward to seeing your posts.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Rocky, welcome from Hawaii. I hope you enjoy this site, there are a lot of great people here, as well as a lot of diverse skills.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Rocky, welcome. I'm new here too recently and loving it. Hope you will too!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello Rocky. Welcome to a great place. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the welcome!

I will give uploading a try pretty soon.

Is it safe to assume that if the picture looks ok on my screen it will look okay after uploading it?

Thanks,

Rocky
    "All my best thoughts I keep to myself"

Images
    Probably close enough, but every monitor is different. Most folks here understand that what they see on their screen is a pale representation of the original print.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin