Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,267   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hi From Montreal

Hi all!

I recently got into photography, I’d say maybe 8 months ago. Funny thing is all I needed was a darn camera to make videos with and then I got hooked to actually taking pictures. I got a top end digital superzoom and got into it quite a lot but I always had the impression that film was for the more “knowledgeable” and you couldn’t use film unless you were a real pro because it’s difficult. But I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR but wasn’t sure I’d need it…so I got myself a AE-1 with 3 canon lenses for 100$ to try it out…well that’s when my love for film started.

I now use a Mamiya M645 1000s mostly in BW and take pictures of nature, street, abstract or really anything that catches my eye. I must say that I prefer street right now though… I prefer the process with film, the fact that it requires skill and well I prefer my nice mechanical metal camera to the expensive plastic toy. The look of course is way richer and warm with film, I mean you have to be in denial to believe otherwise. And I’m not just comparing to my digital but other peoples shots with top end DSLR’s. My film pics are the only ones I print and I develop my BW myself. But I like using my digi for tests and for pictures I need quick feedback on.

I am obviously beginning in this art form, I need feedback and advice from people who know what they are talking about. I get some good shots and a lot of the pictures I make get positive feedback but when I look at what’s out there I know there is much to learn!

Cheers!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Welcome to the site.
    There's always much to learn.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Have fun.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Greetings from a fellow Montrealer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Alexis. Welcome to APUG. I'm also from Montreal. If you need any help or advice regarding materials, techniques etc I'm glad to help.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Alexis.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Welcome from another Montrealer! I guess there are quite a few of us here. Wouldn't it be great if we had an active local APUG group

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, from the south-west corner of the country.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice welcome! Glad to see people from where I live. I do have some questions indeed …like besides Lozeau is there anywhere else to get film and chemicals? Need chemicals…I develop but I’m going to make a darkroom soon so…

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really anymore. Photo Service on Notre Dame in Old Montreal has a small analog section about the same size as the few shelves at Lozeau, with a slightly larger selection. Like Lozeau they have all the Kodak and Ilford films so there's no problem there.

They've got the various Kodak and Ilford developers (for film and paper), stop bath, fixer, wetting agent, and some basic toners. They also have some of the standard Ilford papers (which are excellent). Everything you need to get started. As you go along if you want to start trying different types of paper, less standard chemicals and stuff, you basically have to order them from the states from places like Freestyle, B&H etc. But to get started, you'll find what you need here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin