Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,694   Online: 757

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Greetings from a legally blind photographer in NE PA.

Hello, my name is Michael and I am legally blind. That means that my eyesight is worse than 20/200 corrected.

I lost my a majority of my eyesight a few years ago due to diabetic complications, I am a type I diabetic.

Before loosing my eyesight, I had a strong interest in photography, and after loosing my eyesight I learned to use photography as a way to see the world around me.

Over the last semester at college -- I am majoring in Psychology, I have been taking a 35mm black and white film photography class and I have been able to use what I learned in the past to enable me to complete the entire photographic process without assistance.

While I currently do not have one area in which I specialize, a large portion of my current work is within the realm of still life.
    Last edited by legally blind; 03-28-2012 at 12:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello and welcome.
    I saw a short documentary about a legally blind photographer that painted with light. I was intruiged by his way to see things.

I wonder, what makes you use photography as your media? I am always impressed by people that "use" their handicap to create stuff and I am curious what makes these guys to chose the, what seem to be, hardest way to express themselves.

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeff and Zewrak, thank you for the welcome.
    In my case, I was interesting in photography quite a few years before loosing my eyesight. I simply became much more serious about photography after losing my eyesight.

When I lost my eyesight, I gained lots of free time and the opportunity to deeply explore two of my interests psychology and photography.
    I began working towards a degree in psychology, with hopes to return to work using my mind instead of the manual labor I was performing prior to becoming disabled. I then felt that since photography was something that I was interested in for such a long time -- 20+ years, that I would take it upon myself to become formally educated in the art as a part of my re-education.

I also find photography to be therapeutic, as it gives me the temporary relief I need from many of my challenges. While creating a photo, I only have to deal with the specific challenges involved with that photo, instead of 1,000's of random challenges coming from all directions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hallo Michael
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Michael!

I'd like to hear more about how you approach photography with limited sight. It's something I've thought about for a long time, but haven't had to actually face.

Do you have any examples of your work on-line?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello legally blind and welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    'Legally blind': Please do not blame me if you happen to see (in the sense of 'perceive') things better than most. Sometimes it just happens that way. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, and best wishes with your endeavors with photography and psychology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Michael, and good luck with your photography.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin