Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,729   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format

Return to the darkside

Hi, I'm Nige. I live in oxfordshire with my wife and two little boys. I've been a member of APUG before and used to shoot a lot of film. Lack of free time and a constant battle to get and keep my darkroom up to temp lured me to other side. Then recently my "suggested" that I teach the boys photography. So I set up a makeshift darkroom in the bathroom, dug out some old chemicals, paper and film and we set to work. Both boys, the oldest especially are now really keen to get in the dark and have some fun. We started with photograms, then my box brownie and now are onto 35mm. Lots of fun and glad to be back

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome back NVous

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Canada's Left coast, Nige. And a welcome back to the analog side of things!

Like you, I, too, have shot, and continue to shoot, in both analog and digital. My preference, though, remains far and away with analog.

Color-wise, I was a life-long Kodachrome shooter until EK pulled the rug; more recently, I have been shooting Ektachrome E100G and E100VS in both 35mm and 120 formats. Once again, however, EK has discontinued my films. Fortunately, in light of EK's recent travails, I stocked up, filling my deep-freeze with several hundred rolls of these two emulsions in both my chosen formats. Once my stash is exhausted...well...

Over the last several years, I have found myself shooting (and printing) an ever-increasing amount of black and white work (Kodak Tri-X/Ilford HP5 for 35mm and Ilford's (amazing) PanF Plus and FP4 Plus for 120). Few things match the satisfaction of a well-done black and white print. Like your youngsters, I learned to print by watching and assisting my father in his bathroom-darkroom. Although he (and later I) also shot a great deal of colo(u)r transparency work, he adamantly refused to let any lab develop or print his black and white! I shoot black and white constantly, letting the film accumulate until I feel I have enough for a couple of lengthy darkroom sessions (developing the film is, by any reasonable admission, not that exciting). That said, I love the printing end of things. During our rainy season (January and February can be bleak) I will often spend an entire weekend playing catch-up on my darkroom work. I currently have my darkroom set up in the bathroom of my guest bedroom, using the bathtub to wash the prints (a little savage to some, but it does get the job done).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome back, Nige.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Nige !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome back - to the dark slide, from Beijing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to APUG Nige.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nige - hello and welcome back to APUG... glad you are back in the fold!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome from a close neighbour!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG and welcome to the darkside
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin