Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,930   Online: 1195

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey from Casey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Casey !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Casey.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Casey, and a warm welcome to APUG! Give it time you will love film even more.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
    i love the "not knowing" part of it...the excitement of finding out if you got the shot or just to see how it ended up turning out.
    Welcome to APUG! The anticipation is part of the fun of film, I agree. BUT - just wait until you go from "not knowing" if you got the shot to *knowing* that you got it the moment the shutter fired. That is a real thrill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! I shoot both, actually I shoot everything I can get my hands on, and film for.

Both have their purpose. But I see it as film as a 5 star restaurant, and digital as McDonald's. If you are in a real hurry for a quick bite, McDonald's is the better choice. If you have the time to savor the experience, the 5 star restaurant leaves you with memories you won't soon forget.

Another person in another forum put it very eloquently. They had lost a loved one, and they said, "When I look at the image on the film, I see the light that actually touched him. It is there frozen in time, and a tangible moment of my loved one that I can hold in my hands".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Casey - hello and welcome to APUG!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    Hi Casey

Welcome to APUG and to the wonderful world of traditional photography.

The Nikon FE2 is a fantastic camera, provided you will be happy with manual focussing. It's relatively small and lightweight, but rugged and well built. It, and the closely related FM series (excluding the recent cheap plastic FE10 and FM10) have been the preferred cameras of many photographers who wanted to travel light but have a reliable camera. For example, Steve McCurry's iconic portrait "Afghan Girl" was taken with an FM2. The FE2 is essentially an FM2 with an electroniclly controlled shutter (hence the "E" in the name) to give it aperture priority automatic exposure. Jeff Widener's famous photo of a man standing in front of a line of Chinese tanks at Tiananmen Square was taken with an FE2 (from about half a mile away, which is why it's not competely sharp).

The F3P is a ruggedised "press" version of the F3, Nikon's top professional camera of the time. It's very capable, but heavier and more complex than the FE2. I also think it was optimised for the needs of press photographers, which may not suit you as well as a more general purpose camera like the FE2. As far as I know it does not have autofocus (The F3AF has autofocus, but the F3P is not compatible with the AF finder used in the F3AF). Personally I would pick the FE2 since it's smaller, lighter, almost as rugged and has everything one needs to take great photographs.

Both cameras taken Nikon F-mount lenses. Since they are manual focus cameras, you would be best off with manual focus AI or AI-S lenses. These are optically good, widely available, and not too expensive (for example, keh.com has a 50/1.8 in excellent condition for US$ 99 - ebay would probably be cheaper but is definitely more risky).

I must admit that I'm biased. I learned photography on a Nikon FM, and loved it. Of all the 35 mm SLRs in the world, the FE2 would be my second choice. (The later version, the FM3A, would be my first choice).

With respect to your other post about automatic film loading, note that the FM/FE does not have this. After loading as I described in the other thread, would would need to manually advance the film using the thumb winder until the frame counter shows you have reached frame 1. After cinishing the film, you would have to manually rewind it back into the cartridge before opening the camera back.

Good luck!
    Andrew
    Hey, Wow, so much info...thank you
    I'm beginning to get used to the idea of manual focus, it is not just the "can i do it" thing but how long will it take me but i guess practice makes perfect.
    Light weight is great.
    Thanks for the bit on who has used such camera this is reassuring...The FE2 s sounding like the one.

Three questions:
    1) Do you know what battery(s) does the FE2 use? i have to make sure i have access to them.
    2) Would i have to buy lenses 2nd hand or would any of the "new" lenses work?
    3) what options would i have with flash?

Sorry to ask so much, i like to really research something before buying just to be sure.

Thanks again, from Casey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi casey

welcome to apug !

... not knowing is a HUGE thing for me too, i love not having any idea ..
    its as much fun as looking at film that was just processed for the first time with the lights on
    or watching the image magically appear in the developer ..

film and paper are pretty cool

have fun!
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Another person in another forum put it very eloquently. They had lost a loved one, and they said, "When I look at the image on the film, I see the light that actually touched him. It is there frozen in time, and a tangible moment of my loved one that I can hold in my hands".

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
    Hey, Wow, so much info...thank you
    I'm beginning to get used to the idea of manual focus, it is not just the "can i do it" thing but how long will it take me but i guess practice makes perfect.
    Light weight is great.
    Thanks for the bit on who has used such camera this is reassuring...The FE2 s sounding like the one.

Three questions:
    1) Do you know what battery(s) does the FE2 use? i have to make sure i have access to them.
    2) Would i have to buy lenses 2nd hand or would any of the "new" lenses work?
    3) what options would i have with flash?

Sorry to ask so much, i like to really research something before buying just to be sure.

Thanks again, from Casey.
    You're welcome.

1. The FE2 uses two LR44 batteries. These are 1.5 Volt button cells, 11.4mm diameter and 5.2mm in height which are widely available - they are used in watches, calculators, etc.

2. Nikon still sells some manual focus lenses - see http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/list.htm#manual. However most photo shops won't stock them. You would either have to get them on special order, or mail order them from somewhere like bhphoto.com. Zeiss also makes a range of excellent manual focus lenses. The Zeiss "ZF" and "ZF2" lenses are designed for the Nikon F mount which the FE2 has (that's the "F" in "FE2"). Get the ZF2 lenses since they are optically identical to the ZF lenses but are also compatible with more modern Nikon cameras (see http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/...450.usage.html - you can click the icons under the pic to show info about the various lenses in the range). Also, current Nikon autofocus lenses will also work on the FE2 provided they have an aperture setting ring on the lens. Many of the recent lenses, with official names that end in "G" (e.g. Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G) don't have aperture rings. They rely on electronic aperture control by the camera body, which the FE2 does not support. However I would prefer manual focus lenses - they are cheaper (if purchased second hand), generally have a smoother manual focus action, and are usually smaller and lighter. Some of the more recent AF lenses also don't have good focus distance and depth of field markings, which are very helpful if you ever want to do landscape photography. If you want new and can afford it, get Zeiss ZF2 lenses. They're beautifully built and optically excellent. Otherwise second hand Nikon lenses from a trustworthy source like keh.com will do just fine.

3. The FE-2 will give TTL flash control with Nikon's last generation of flashes, the SB-600 and SB-800. AFAIK this won't work with the current SB-700 and SB-900 since they no longer support TTL, only i-TTL which is the digital camera equivalent. You should still be able to use these on manual, though I haven't tried it. The SB-600 is widely available on the used market and is a good, moderately priced flash - I have one.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 05-07-2012 at 01:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs" (Ansel Adams)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin