Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,413   Online: 889

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hey from Casey

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    You're welcome.

1. The FE2 uses two LR44 batteries. These are 1.5 Volt button cells, 11.4mm diameter and 5.2mm in height which are widely available - they are used in watches, calculators, etc.

2. Nikon still sells some manual focus lenses - see http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/list.htm#manual. However most photo shops won't stock them. You would either have to get them on special order, or mail order them from somewhere like bhphoto.com. Zeiss also makes a range of excellent manual focus lenses. The Zeiss "ZF" and "ZF2" lenses are designed for the Nikon F mount which the FE2 has (that's the "F" in "FE2"). Get the ZF2 lenses since they are optically identical to the ZF lenses but are also compatible with more modern Nikon cameras (see http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/...450.usage.html - you can click the icons under the pic to show info about the various lenses in the range). Also, current Nikon autofocus lenses will also work on the FE2 provided they have an aperture setting ring on the lens. Many of the recent lenses, with official names that end in "G" (e.g. Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G) don't have aperture rings. They rely on electronic aperture control by the camera body, which the FE2 does not support. However I would prefer manual focus lenses - they are cheaper (if purchased second hand), generally have a smoother manual focus action, and are usually smaller and lighter. Some of the more recent AF lenses also don't have good focus distance and depth of field markings, which are very helpful if you ever want to do landscape photography. If you want new and can afford it, get Zeiss ZF2 lenses. They're beautifully built and optically excellent. Otherwise second hand Nikon lenses from a trustworthy source like keh.com will do just fine.

3. The FE-2 will give TTL flash control with Nikon's last generation of flashes, the SB-600 and SB-800. AFAIK this won't work with the current SB-700 and SB-900 since they no longer support TTL, only i-TTL which is the digital camera equivalent. You should still be able to use these on manual, though I haven't tried it. The SB-600 is widely available on the used market and is a good, moderately priced flash - I have one.

Cheers
    Andrew
    hi Andrew,
    Ok, cool, i'm glad the battery is easy to get.
    As for the lenses, i'll probably just ask them when i get there...see what they have instore at the camera exchange.
    i will write down these two flashes and ask the person when i phone up to make sure they still have the camera instock before i go, if they sell either of the two.

Thanks so much, you have been a great help

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Please let us know how it turns out, and post some pics to the gallery!

Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Casey, the FE2 would be my choice of the two bodies you mention. I have an FE2 body, plus a couple of F3 bodies, the FE2 has a very user friendly match needle metering system.

I would suggest you may learn a lot about pricing and what is around, by going to your local newsagent and picking up the latest Photographic Trader, number 156 for $4.75. You cannot miss it, it is an A4 Yellow covered publication and based in Australia. The current edition came out last week.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Casey, Welcome to APUG, if you in Melbourne I have a very nice looking Minolta X300 and 50mmf2 with 200x flash you can have for $15.00 (which will go to the charity shop that my mother works with)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Casey, Welcome to APUG, if you in Melbourne I have a very nice looking Minolta X300 and 50mmf2 with 200x flash you can have for $15.00 (which will go to the charity shop that my mother works with)
    Hey, thanks.
    I am very interested, i live in the Dandenong ranges...but if you have paypal ( or i can do a direct deposit) i could pay you then you could send it (i'll pay for postage)....
    Well let me know, thanks again, from Casey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm PM you Casey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Casey, and welcome to APUG. I'm also from the east side of Melbourne, but not quite as far out as you. Did you know that there is a Melbourne APUG get-together on May 27? You'll find the details under the thread "Melbourne APUG get together - MAY 2012".

I also have an FE2, along with an FM2N, an FE, a couple of FMs, and several other Nikon bodies. The FE2 is one of my favourites. With regard to batteries for the FE2, you might prefer the silver SR44 which has a longer life than the alkaline LR44. Both of these are also known as S76 and L76 respectively. However, instead of two of those I prefer to use a single lithium 2L76, also known as CR1/3N which has the longest life of all. They are all pretty easily obtainable. The one drawback of the FE2, and the FE, is that it is battery-dependent for its shutter operation and you could get caught short in the field if the battery goes flat. Simple solution: carry a spare battery.

Cheers, Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    Hi Casey, and welcome to APUG. I'm also from the east side of Melbourne, but not quite as far out as you. Did you know that there is a Melbourne APUG get-together on May 27? You'll find the details under the thread "Melbourne APUG get together - MAY 2012".

I also have an FE2, along with an FM2N, an FE, a couple of FMs, and several other Nikon bodies. The FE2 is one of my favourites. With regard to batteries for the FE2, you might prefer the silver SR44 which has a longer life than the alkaline LR44. Both of these are also known as S76 and L76 respectively. However, instead of two of those I prefer to use a single lithium 2L76, also known as CR1/3N which has the longest life of all. They are all pretty easily obtainable. The one drawback of the FE2, and the FE, is that it is battery-dependent for its shutter operation and you could get caught short in the field if the battery goes flat. Simple solution: carry a spare battery.

Cheers, Peter.
    Hey, Thanks for the welcome
    Thats 3 days before my b'day...i would love to go but it is going to be too far to get to...maybe next time.
    From Casey

Shooter
    35mm
    I now have a film camera (thanks to SMBooth) it's a Minolta X-300, I'm so excited, Soon i will be taking photos...can't wait! There's a lookout near me which has a nice landscape...i actually like people shots but i thought i would start with something that doesn't move
    Well bye, from Casey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin