Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,705   Online: 965

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey from Casey

Shooter
    35mm

Hey from Casey

Hi, i have recently become interested in film cameras, i own a canon 1000d and have been using it for a little while....My brother on the other hand loves film cameras, and he has now got me into them too.
    This may sound stupid but i love the "not knowing" part of it...the excitement of finding out if you got the shot or just to see how it ended up turning out.
    So about me... i'm 25, a girl, and i'm from Australia....i'm in love with black and white photography and also i love to take people shots. i hope to purchase my first film camera soon ( i'm still learning whats what).
    bye for now from Casey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Casey.

That's about the most honest introduction I can remember. Well done.

Can you tell us what you've been doing with your camera recently? And which film camera you might hope to purchase?

That "not knowing" part is one of the most exquisite pleasures of film photography. We all enjoy that. It's also an excellent taskmaster because it will force you to really learn how to use a camera since there is no instant feedback.

Enjoy your stay...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome to Apug! Is is that wonder and mystery yet symmetry (and sometimes lack thereof) with the camera/materials that keeps me so thrilled with analog! You will have a ball, welcome!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Casey,
    You, and through your involvement here, your brother will find a lot of info on all things film. In the past 3 years I've acquired quite the film camera collection. Black and white is great as it's easy to process yourself. And the tonality is great too. If you ask, you'll get dozens of options for your first film camera. Any manual SLR will do the trick, cheaply, but with top-notch bodies and lenses. Good luck on your adventure!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Welcome to APUG, Casey.

That's about the most honest introduction I can remember. Well done.

Can you tell us what you've been doing with your camera recently? And which film camera you might hope to purchase?

That "not knowing" part is one of the most exquisite pleasures of film photography. We all enjoy that. It's also an excellent taskmaster because it will force you to really learn how to use a camera since there is no instant feedback.

Enjoy your stay...

Ken
    Hey, recently i went to the zoo for practice, this week coming i hope to stay at my sisters so i can practice portraits (she photographs well which comes in handy for me) then soon after i will stay at my nans so i can practice some more.
    as for what camera...i'm pretty sure it's called a film SLR, i haven't picked which one though a shop somewhat near me has a Nikon FE-2 and a F3-P at a price i can afford so i might researched them for a while....i'm a little confused if i get a film SLR, what lenses i can use with it. plus all these numbers and letters get a little overwhelming since i was only just getting used too it with digital (learning all the models).
    Well thanks for the reply.
    from Casey.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Welcome to Apug! Is is that wonder and mystery yet symmetry (and sometimes lack thereof) with the camera/materials that keeps me so thrilled with analog! You will have a ball, welcome!
    Thanks, i'm real excited!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    Hi Casey,
    You, and through your involvement here, your brother will find a lot of info on all things film. In the past 3 years I've acquired quite the film camera collection. Black and white is great as it's easy to process yourself. And the tonality is great too. If you ask, you'll get dozens of options for your first film camera. Any manual SLR will do the trick, cheaply, but with top-notch bodies and lenses. Good luck on your adventure!
    Thanks, i can't wait to get started! i'm doing some research now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Casey

Welcome to APUG and to the wonderful world of traditional photography.

The Nikon FE2 is a fantastic camera, provided you will be happy with manual focussing. It's relatively small and lightweight, but rugged and well built. It, and the closely related FM series (excluding the recent cheap plastic FE10 and FM10) have been the preferred cameras of many photographers who wanted to travel light but have a reliable camera. For example, Steve McCurry's iconic portrait "Afghan Girl" was taken with an FM2. The FE2 is essentially an FM2 with an electroniclly controlled shutter (hence the "E" in the name) to give it aperture priority automatic exposure. Jeff Widener's famous photo of a man standing in front of a line of Chinese tanks at Tiananmen Square was taken with an FE2 (from about half a mile away, which is why it's not competely sharp).

The F3P is a ruggedised "press" version of the F3, Nikon's top professional camera of the time. It's very capable, but heavier and more complex than the FE2. I also think it was optimised for the needs of press photographers, which may not suit you as well as a more general purpose camera like the FE2. As far as I know it does not have autofocus (The F3AF has autofocus, but the F3P is not compatible with the AF finder used in the F3AF). Personally I would pick the FE2 since it's smaller, lighter, almost as rugged and has everything one needs to take great photographs.

Both cameras taken Nikon F-mount lenses. Since they are manual focus cameras, you would be best off with manual focus AI or AI-S lenses. These are optically good, widely available, and not too expensive (for example, keh.com has a 50/1.8 in excellent condition for US$ 99 - ebay would probably be cheaper but is definitely more risky).

I must admit that I'm biased. I learned photography on a Nikon FM, and loved it. Of all the 35 mm SLRs in the world, the FE2 would be my second choice. (The later version, the FM3A, would be my first choice).

With respect to your other post about automatic film loading, note that the FM/FE does not have this. After loading as I described in the other thread, would would need to manually advance the film using the thumb winder until the frame counter shows you have reached frame 1. After cinishing the film, you would have to manually rewind it back into the cartridge before opening the camera back.

Good luck!
    Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 05-06-2012 at 04:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Casey! Nice to have another girl on board! I love Nikon FEs (the precursor to the FE2) and have four of them to date -- I use them much more than my Nikon F100, which by all standards is a great camera, but somehow pales in comparison to how uncomplicated the old manual cameras can be.

Andrew's given you a lot of good information but feel free to ask questions here anytime -- we're a friendly helpful bunch! (most of the time anyway...)
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from another Australian! You'll just soak up info here...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    President, Melbourne Silver Mine Inc.
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/
    http://silvermine.org.au

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin