Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,284   Online: 953

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Hello (Tom from PA)

Hey everyone!

My name is Tom and I live in Central PA (USA). My girlfriend and I recently started working together as wedding photographers but on our free time we enjoy shooting fashion, beauty & portraits.
    I've just recently started shooting film and it's been a BLAST. It's merely a personal interest but I would love to eventually mix it into my paid gigs.

I picked up an EOS-1V locally on a trade and just received a PB-E2 grip from KEH (wow this camera is HEAVY, lol)
    I think the 1V is great since I can use all of my L lenses but I've been really considering a Mamiya 645D or Contax 645 (also found locally), I'm just not sure if I'm ready to invest that type of money into this new venture of mine.

I've been shooting Kodak BW400CN since I can get it developed locally but I just placed an order for a bunch of other random films.

Tri-x 400 35mm
    Portra 400 35mm
    Ilford HP5+ 400 35mm
    Kodak Ektar 100 35mm
    Kodak Ektar 100 120

My friends gandfather recently gave me a bunch of old cameras; Praktica with waist level view finder, Polaroid Land Camera Electric-Eye 900 and a Kodak Tourist. I plan on modifying 120 to use in the Kodak Tourist, so that should be fun.

Digitally I shoot with a 5D Mark III (upgraded from a Mark II).

PS: Are there any sites that show different stocks of film and perhaps what they look like when under/over exposed? It seems some film looks better when pushed/pulled and I have no clue what those might be.
    Film Gear:
    Contax 645 w/ Zeiss 80mm F2
    Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm F1.8
    Polaroid 250 Land Camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard Tom. Glad you decided to give film a try. The 1V is a really nice rig for 35mm for sure. If you want to move up to medium format with a 645 you will probably love the mamyia or the contax. Medium format is so much nicer than 35mm or your 5D III. It's a different shooting style but the results are amazing.

For film "looks" there are as many as there are Photoshop techniques. It can go on forever, esp with BW film. For color c-41 negative film try shooting one roll at different exposures so you can see what happens. I typically over expose all color neg by +2/3 to +1 stop over exposed. Highlights won't blow out with color neg film. Over exposing will brighten and open up the shadows and saturates the colors a bit. It looks great but you will have to figure out what you like by doing your own leg work.

Good luck and keep film alive!

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Tom,
    Welcome to APUG.
    But watch it–– medium format is a gateway drug. Soon you'll be trolling the classified for 4x5 field cameras and then it will be 8x10, trying to jury-rig a hand held for street photos. You will, of course, eventually have to stop somewhere... and when you find where that somewhere is, tell me, I haven't found it yet. I'm still buying gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome To The Analog Club, TomTom !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Howdy neighbor from north central Pa.-- You know, now that you are shooting film you will need a dark room for process and printing. Unlike the "D" kind, film demands to be printed using traditional methods.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Tom, I hope you enjoy APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from southwest PA!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Tom, welcome to the non-virtual world of real photography.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome from a SE PA resident and a Penn State student!
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin