Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,908   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

SaBaiDee (Hello)

Hello to all my new found friends,

My name is Alex from Minnesota (currently living in Chicago). I have recently been bitten by the Film Bug Thanks to Peter Bromaghin - My future Father in Law.
    Currently I'm using a Cannon EOS K2. Very nice and user friendly. The camera truly does feel like it's apart of you. Haven't reached the expertise of manual settings just yet. Still going through all the terms, jotting down definitions like a vocabulary study guide.

I'm also brushing off the dust of a 87' Yashica 200-AF (loud AF motor) that was my grandfathers. I love the sharp corners and solid frame, just like cars - 80's design.

Snapped through a roll of TMax400 (B&W) and ready to develop the badboy. I processed my very first roll with Peter when visiting in Denver. Soon to acquire a Tank and Bag from a very generous and selfless fella I was introduced to by Peter. Next step is to get my Chemicals in order.
    Developer - Stop - Fixer - Wash.
    Any insight on what I should use for my Rookie years? I was going to stick with the Kodak line.

As i get used to the layout and thread of this site, please guide me with your knowledge.

Kup Jai (Thank you) !!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome to film! Chemistry wise, use whatever your father in law uses . I mean it seriously, as what you get from using what a family mbr uses is the ability to talk on the phone or at family parties talk at great length on how to improve your skills. Using the same chems can help. If he uses something maybe a bit too obscure for your tastes, there is nothing wrong with Xtol or HC110. I am a Xtol fan, I mix up 5 liters, bottle it and it lasts me 4-6 months. But honestly almost all developers will work great, there is little major differences in all of them, pick a type and work it for a while, jumping around developers is a quick way to lose sight of what you wish to accomplish (which for many is consistency)

I sure hope you have some good literature, if not Henry Horenstein's, Black and White a Basic Manual, can be bought used on Amazon for less than a latte.

Welcome to film!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Alex -- have fun with developing and printing!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For certain alwya use what "Dad" uses, it promotes good photography and a happy future wedding.

Glad you joined APUG. I enjoy the interaction and have learned a lot here and with a few outings with other APUG members (thanks John and Dolly) I have gotten better, learned to use my equipment better and had a lot of laughter too.

Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Alex !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome Alex from your new friend, Umut from Istanbul.

Canon cameras are ergonomically excellent and Yashica also. Its too easy to fall in love fast autofocus , lightweight , low noise , everything automatic Canon camera. But to make good composition requires another 5 seconds invested in making. Manual cameras gives that time frame and I believe your Yashica would give that edge. In my belief , smaller viewfinders are giving better photography. But some hates small viewfinders also. Tmax is an excellent film and any developer gives you great results.
    But as every car carries you from one point to other , investing in quality of equipment and chemicals doesnt make you a loser. Find some books from Ansel Adams from your local library and have a look to whats being said. When you see the quality , you will want to reach it and questions will carry you higher. Invest in this forum and book , catalogs. Look Bostick Sullivan Company website at Santa Fe.
    When you see the alternative processes and the results , fun will begin.

Have a good time here Alex ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for giving Alex such a warm welcome! He does seem to have caught the bug. The last time he and our daughter visited us in Colorado he didn't even bring his digi-snapper.

Umut, he definitely knows about Ansel Adams. We went to an exhibit of the complete Museum Set last year and spent several hours leaving nose prints on the glass. I think that's what hooked him, in fact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alex - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin