Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,616   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from Thailand

Hello all,

I have been photographing b&w on films for almost a year. My father was a semi-pro doing hand-colouring on b&w prints. When he passed away several years ago I inherited all of his cameras and darkroom equipments. However it took me some time to start doing film photography just because I thought traditional photography is tedious and expensive. Yes it might be a bit costly, but I love every moment from picture taking to developing to printing. With b&w film I create the kind of pictures that I really love - which could not have been made with digital photography.

I'm still in the experiment phase, playing with Leicas, Zorki, Nikons, and old Pentax. I also love the detail and smoothness of medium format film from my Rolleiflex. For the films I mainly use Tri-X and HP5+. Developer used to be D-76 but recently moved to Ilfotec HC just because D-76 was not available at the moment. I used to try traditional darkroom print and love it, but there is not much paper choices and they are expensive, plus I often get sick by darkroom odour which is a great source of concern for my wife. Hence for now I am content with hybrid workflow using a camera scan technique which yield better result that flatbed scanning.

As for the subject matter I tend to photograph nature and portraiture. I only photograph things that I like - something that impress me positively. You can see some of my photos in my Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/105042106999818885336

Chitpong

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Chitpong. Glad to see and hear that someone is keeping up traditional techniques in Thailand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the forum Chitpong. Enjoy your stay. Sounds like you have an interesting history with film.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually yes. My dad used T-MAX 400 extensively. However as a child I was so impressed with some of his photos that used Tri-X and HP5+. These two films look more real, more pleasant to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hell Chitpong and a warm welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome to APUG , writing from Istanbul. I am agree with you, I believe and sure that TriX is better film than Tmax. Its good to know you made a step and using HC110 now. That is one of the best developer you can buy. I read You have Leicas , thats excellent , many forum members are craving for a Leica , they buy it and force to sell later because their all money gone to Leica.
    I agree , Rolleiflex and Zeiss is so smooth sometimes that I dont like. If you decide to sell some cameras , keep Leicas at your hand , you will never be able to buy them again , their prices are so high and quality there is no way to live without it.

What about the Leicas , what have you got ?

Best ,
    Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Chitpong !

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chitpong - hello and welcome to APUG!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sawadee krup and welcome!

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Chitpong!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin