Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,957   Online: 761

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Tacoma, Washington reporting in

Hi everyone,

It's good to finally find a strong digital free community. I've been shooting film in 35mm, 6x6cm and 4x5 for about 20 years. I'm still a hack but getting slowly better. I shoot B&W only because I can't afford to shoot color and have it processed. I hope to learn from you all on the subjects of exposure, processing and printing. I think my artistic compositional 'skills' are beyond hope. Every once in a while I make a nice picture. Sort of like a broken clock is right twice a day.

I tried to be a member in good standing of photosig.com but found it populated by digital newbies who wouldn't know an aperture from an ASA rating. These folks look at grain and call it 'noise'. They ask questions like 'it looks OK in B&W, but can you please post the original color?" They brag about the way a submitted photo was manipulated in Photoshop to mask incompetency with the actual digital 'camera'.

When asked what sort of film was used when submitting a picture. The film camera people answer the question because they are using FILM. The digital people are supposed to ignore the question because they are not using film. Instead, they populate the film database with things like the manufacturer of their generic memory, the size of that memory... etc That would be like responding to the question, "What film did you use?" with "36 exposure roll". As if a 24 exposure roll of film gave you a different sort of image. Digital people just don't get it and I got tired of the ignorance. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here. If I do then please let me know.

Enough ranting. So now I'm flying into the arms of a film community. Geez, I'm getting warm fuzzies already

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome, from Hawaii. I think that your introduction hit the "nail on the head", and you will find many here who agree with your positions. There are people here who practice "digital", but these same people see that there is nothing wrong with using film. Yes, this forum is about traditional methods and about using film. You will fit right in.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard. You are among like minded people.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome from down I-5! I totally agree with you!! Last time I posted a pic on my other photo forum, the first question I got was, so how much PS work did you do on this? Or something like that... grrr....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Family ??

Spooky . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    . I'm still a hack but getting slowly better.
    Me Too!

. I shoot B&W only because I can't afford to shoot color and have it processed.
    Me Too!

. I think my artistic compositional 'skills' are beyond hope. Every once in a while I make a nice picture.
    Me Too!

Are you my long lost sibling ??

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi and welcome! I live in Redmond and I work in Tacoma right now. There are a few of around. I'm going to meet one Friday night at his home in Olympia to buy some equipment from him.

You'll see there is no shortage of knowledge here about analog processes. There are a lot of old farts here who live in small shacks in the woods with nothing better to do than mix chemistry and test film

As for compositional skills, feel free to post in the Critique Gallery and see if you get any helpful feedback.

If you like the place, you can subscribe for a low annual subscription rate to help support the site financially (like the equivalent of $1 per month).

Take care.

-Mike in Tacoma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice to see you. I have a sister in DC - is that far from Tacoma? Anyway, warm fuzzy's to ya from DownUnder.

Best, John.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Nice to see you. I have a sister in DC - is that far from Tacoma? Anyway, warm fuzzy's to ya from DownUnder.

Best, John.
    Wrong side of the country.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSYD
    Spooky . . .

Me Too!

Me Too!

Me Too!

Are you my long lost sibling ??
    Ditto.....................
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum

Best, John.
    They're practically neighbors. Only 3,000 miles between them.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin