Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,444   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Unsolicited testimonial

I generally don't post in these "Welcomes and Introductions" threads on forums, but I'm prompted to change my habits to express how pleasant it has been to join APUG.

I've only posted a couple of queries and received really quick and very helpful feedback and assistance.

Browsing round the the discussions, things seem civilised and there's so far no evidence of the incivility and rudeness that characterise so many forums.

I've been taking snaps for 40-odd years, with a few hiatuses, but only for the past 5 years or so starting to understand at last what I want to do behind a camera. I have digital to thank for that, but it has also led me back to using film again ... hence ending up here.

For film use, I have a Voigtlander Bessa R2a, a 35mm Summicron, a couple of 28mm (Ultron 28/1.9, Orion-15 28/6) and a rigid Industar 50mm/3.5; A box in my 'fridge contains a bit of an unholy mixture of Foma 100, Tri-X, HP5, BW400CN and ColorPlus ... I'm experimenting with developing film myself for the first time too, so I'm feeing my way slowly, in an odd position of feeling well-informed about a few things photographic, and yet amazingly ignorant of great stretches of the field.

The "Photography Year Books" (edited by Hall & Burton) from the '50s that I was given in my teens still inform my way of making images ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pdeeh,
    Your experience mirrors my own from over 7 years ago. I'm happy we're still the same friendly bunch. The names change, but the attitude, or lack of attitude remains the same. Welcome aboard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a great bunch. I know a lot more about film photography than I did a month ago. The help here is much appreciated. Finding information about digital photography is easy, analog not so much.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm a relative newcomer compared to the residents above but I still feel I can be one to say "You're most certainly welcome"

I felt very much the same way you do when I crept out of the shadows here a few years back, only I was too shy to say it. I'm really glad you did. Everyone here has been very kind and so unbelievably helpful. Honestly, APUG feels like the vault for 180 odd years of photographic knowledge; Photography's Brain Trust that amateurs such as myself are very fortunate to be able to tap into whenever we have a question or a curiosity that needs satisfying.

So, welcome Pdeeh, from Australia (and a fellow APUG Groupie.... urgghhh, 'groupie'... bit undignified! I'll think of something better and then promise I won't share my inanity in future )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pdeeh,

Welcome to APUG. I know when I first joined a few years ago I was amazed at how different the feel and tone of this site was, and it quickly became my go-to site for all things photographic. It's sort of like family here -- for the most part people get along, like to have fun, and are really helpful, even with those who might be a little off-the-wall, aggressive, or just trying to stir the pot.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    @pdeeh,

Totally agree with you regarding this forum. I also went thru the same path than you, shooting in and out until I decided - very late - to develop my own films.

Welcome again and keep shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a good forum, and you're right, it is very civil. Although I've been doing photography for nearly 65 years, I find inspiration here. Welcome and enjoy!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome pdeeh
    Been a long long time since I was in Australia.... out of Vietnam in 67 and glad to be out of there.... made me feel welcome you did. All I would say about APUG is there is a whale of a lot to learn here and all readily accessible. Smart folks here and you will find answers to nearly any question you can come up with. Only thing is, you gotta ask it. Straight away. Just ask it. And you'll get an answer. May not read like you want but you will get an answer. Study the Galleries. Lots to be learned from the prints. Some one has probably shot one like one of yours (or mine) that didn't quite work out. Their details may tell you enough to fix your problem.... or you can always ask....
    And mainly the idea here is to have FUN with photography.... that is our main objective, I think.... having FUN for it should be FUN, shouldn't it. Life is tough enough coming to us head on as it does. Something ought to be fun and photography outghta be it.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond, Va. I hope you enjoy being here.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin