Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,697   Online: 1208

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from England

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hi from England

Hi.

I've just joined theforum and just for the record, I'm number 58,870.

I grew up as an analog photographer. You had Hobson's choice when I was a child in the 1960's. You used 35mm or 127 or 120 or whatever, but it was all film.

I can't remember how old I was when I took my first picture (probably between 6 and 8years old), but I remember that it was on Weymouth seafront on the south coast of England. The camera was a black plastic affair made by Kodak. I distinctly remember the yellow backing paper as I watched my father loading it and from memory, I think it was a Brownie 127. This wasn't my first introduction to cameras though. The first object I recognised as a camera was my father's Zeiss Ikoflex TLR and as a child, I used to play with a Mycro IIIa, which I still have in good condition. At 14 I started taking pictures on a regular basis using Praktika MTL3. I was heavily into Kodak Ektachrome in those days. I'd always wanted an Olympus OM2 but couldn't afford it so I had to settle for a lower priced camera instead. So one day, my father and I went into Great Western Cameras in Swindon (UK) and bought a Cosina CSR each. I still have them. They have consecutive serial numbers.

That was it for the next 22 years until I bought a Nikon Pronea S. I took it back to the shop because it wouldn't focus when I turned the focus ring. The assistant switched it on and pressed the shutter button lightly. It made a sort of 'zap' noise and focussed straight away. I'd been turning the zoom ring! Welcome to the world of autofocus.

The Pronea and the Cosina went to the Lake District together, but soon after, I bought a Nikon (F55 I believe), whilst my father had already got heavily into digital. Early in December 2002 he bought an Olympus Camedia C-750 digital. In January 2003 he died. In the morning, my mother pushed the Olympus into my hand and said, 'that's yours'. We went to the coast for the day to make us less miserable and on January 5th2003 I took my first digital photograph of the sunset over the Severn estuary. This is the only photograph I have in commercial use.

I still have the Camedia and having inherited them, the Mycro, both Cosinas and my father's Zeiss Ikoflex. But with time, in 2007 to be exact, I bought a refurbished Canon EOS 20D and was digital from then until last month I bought the Olympus OM2 I had always wanted.

So why the return tofilm?

Firstly DSLRs have a tendency to be heavy and I occasionally, these days, I get knee trouble. Film equipment is often lighter. I'd like a little Olympus OM-D but I just can't afford one right at the moment.

Secondly, I can have all the benefit's of full frame photography for a fraction of the cost of a full frame digital. In fact, it would take me nine years to fund a Canon EOS 5D from savings on film and processing at current UK prices!

But most important is this. I remember looking at some old colour photographs and thinking 'digital could never do this'. I like the way film boosts colours. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-digital. Digital colour accuracy is phenomenal and it's low light performance even more so. But somehow digital images just lack the sensuality of film.

Even so, later in the year I hope to get that Olympus OM-D to go with the OM2.

But in this household, film is back and back to stay.

Chris B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from another Chris!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris - hello and welcome to APUG from western New England!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Chris! Enjoyed reading your background of film!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From #384, welcome!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi #58,870, and welcome. Does everyone have a number?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Chris and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    Does everyone have a number?
    I am not a number. I am a free man.

Hi Chris, and welcome from the other side of the country - You'll find a wealth of talent and knowledge here, so never be afraid of asking a question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    I am not a number. I am a free man.
    So you did recover from the Degree Absolute, Number Six. Bravo!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not a totally different to my own experience. I too was a child in the 60's. I too have a C750 (which incidentally has a great lens) And just like you I now shoot olympus, ummm 1 x OM1 and 3 x OM2, but hey, they're cheap now! Yes, I shoot colour and have then developed and scanned at a lab (photo express in Hull - £4.50 per film for D&S at 6Mp), but I've also now got my own darkroom. At first I thought I would never do this, but I can tell you, it is worth the effort to set up. Taking B&W and then developing and printing yourself puts the image totally under your control. If your OM2 needs a service, Mike Spencer at Camerarepairs-R-Us is the man. Happy shooting!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin