Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,110   Online: 857

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

God, how I hate long introductions...

Well hello everyone. I'm Grumpyshutter, a would-be LF photographer and artist.

I put 'would-be' in there 'cos I never seem to get around to actually doing as much photography as I think I do do. And I fool myself that I do do a lot of photography, but when I do step back (metaphorically) to take a look at what I do do, I realise that a lot of what I do do is, well, do-do...

I put 'artist' in there 'cos we all like to be pretentious.

I'm from Newcastle Upon Tyne, way up in the un-cultured North East of England. I've never been to Art School. I never took photography at school. I've never had a solo exhibition. I've never been represented in a Salon. I don't even have a website. The only darkroom I've been inside is the one I built in the back bedroom, and the 'work-in-progress' that will, one day, maybe, possibly, be the Nirvanah that shall be graced by the mighty DeVere 5108 and custom-built wetbench-and-sink combo that I've been knocking together for the past year and a half. But I do like to fiddle around with my various old cameras and come away clutching a fuzzy 4x5 neg in my sweaty palms.

So, Luddite that I am, I've taken the plunge into the 'tinterweb to broaden my horizons, chat with fellow silver-stained reprobates, exchange ideas and hopefully do a little more with my photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Howdy from another ludite. Welcome to the best photo info site on the planet.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Rick, looking forward to it!

And I return the salute to your son, send him my regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello! (Short enough? )
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Grumpy.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Grumpyshutter,

Welcome to APUG. I like your qualifications - looking forward to seeing you reach milestones like... your first show.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I am so glad I dumped the pseudonym "Grumpy" and reverted to my real name

Those of us who own DV5108s should be driving them full time and earning $Ks from prints - By the way, how did you get it across the Transporter Bridge without the bridge collapsing,or did you take it via the inland route? - Now get thee to thy work and stop talking about what might happen and do it

Our next UK trip is partly based around working in Hartlepool, a place of mythic resonance from hearing the Football results as a child on the wireless "Team name, 16, West Hartlepool, nill" - Footy tragedy aside, this is an important landscape to document, especially with the tweeification I understand parts of Hartlepool are undergoing - I have not been there since 1977, but I can't see it attaining the status of Robin Hood's bay or Whitby - I prefered Hartlepool to the other two

I can still turn on a good grump
    John
    Quinninup
    Last edited by John Austin; 07-28-2012 at 12:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome.
    Nice choice of enlarger.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi John,

Give me a shout when you come over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin