Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,652   Online: 1214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

My self introduction (Consumption of No-Doze recommended before proceeding)

I have posted most of the basic information in my profile so I will just take the time to say "hello" and to explain my goal for being here.

I love a rather wide variety of photographic styles and genres. Sadly, I have very little photographic talent. I definitely do not much of a "photographic eye". I can appreciate quality images when they are on exhibit but I generally can not see a quality image in it's native environment. Maybe it's lack of experience, maybe it's lack of "creativity". Don't know. But the upshot of all of it is that although I enjoy and appreciate a variety of styles and genres I am unable to execute well in most of them.

Although I have dabbled in photography for a number of years I've never gotten serious about it, in part because my apparent lack of photographic vision. But I love photography and want to get serious about it so I have been experimenting with coming up with something within which I feel I do at least have some limited ability. I have recently been using primarily a DSLR for a few reasons: 1) Since I have been largely experimenting (which understandably results in a huge ratio of crappy images in comparison to not-so crappy images, it is much less expensive than paying for film and processing during this process; 2) The styles/genres I've been focusing on as a result of those experiments are well suited to digital, in part because the style/genre themselves have a high crap to non-crap ratio or they involve a great deal of image manipulation (which I am unable to accomplish via chemical processes since I have no capacity for those).

But I love film. To me, film is real whereas digital somehow is less than "real". (Don't ask me to explain it: It's irrational, I know, and i can't really explain it. I just feel that way. Felt the same way about drafting on the board vs CAD. Which is in large part why I never got a drafting job.) I want to get "back" into film photography but doing so will require me to explore photographic styles/genres which are better suited to film but to which I am not necessarily well suited. So, I am here to find guidance and assistance both in the technical aspects (finding labs, et cetera, which these days is becoming more of an issue with the decline of film photography) and the artistic aspects (finding a style/genre within which I can function and feel I at least have some vision).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. You've come to the right place for analog help. Good luck with your future endeavors.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Warm welcome to APUG and be careful, film could be very addictive.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I understand where you're coming from and I'm currently committed to developing my own eye, above all else. Unfortunately, being a bad multitasker (or maybe that's just the way it goes for 'creatives') giving this area of my photography all my energy, I've spent very little time in the darkroom - which is why I lurk around here, hoping to at least pick up a bit of knowledge that I can put to use at some point. Analog photography especially is so multifaceted and we all have our own peculiar approaches in dealing with it all. I don't believe there is a right or wrong approach, only your own, but some guidance from people who are managing well (and there are many here) goes a long way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    Welcome to APUG. You've come to the right place for analog help. Good luck with your future endeavors.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Warm welcome to APUG and be careful, film could be very addictive.
    And expensive...?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I understand where you're coming from and I'm currently committed to developing my own eye, above all else. Unfortunately, being a bad multitasker (or maybe that's just the way it goes for 'creatives') giving this area of my photography all my energy, I've spent very little time in the darkroom - which is why I lurk around here, hoping to at least pick up a bit of knowledge that I can put to use at some point. Analog photography especially is so multifaceted and we all have our own peculiar approaches in dealing with it all. I don't believe there is a right or wrong approach, only your own, but some guidance from people who are managing well (and there are many here) goes a long way.
    I find that my multitasking skills are deteriorating as I get older. Or maybe I'm just more aware that they are lacking. Who knows...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LD - hello and welcome to APUG!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello and welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin