Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,471   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Any room for a fatty?

Political correctness has voided me during this belated introduction so please bare with me as I take this from the beginning to getting here.

It all started out with my parents being amateur photographers but I took less notice than I'd wished of their technical guidance into the world of film, girls were my priority. My father took industrial claim images for a large UK insurance company and my mother was a portrait photographer. My father was also annoying to the point of wanting to smother yourself but at least he left me a camera in his will when he passed away, the Zenit. Thanks Dad....

In my late teens to late 20's I used a good amount of 35mm film using mostly the first generation of compact AF cameras. Probably 1-2 rolls a week which back then deemed me as an annoying bastard considering all subjects were people I knew and that they considered cameras were for holidays. I then met an odd fellow in our town who switched me onto photography as an art form. He was cranky, odd, dressed like a local Lord, he knew film cameras inside out but he didn't smell so we become friends.

After an 18 year gap of serious camera use I decided to look at digital cameras and bought the 5D2 and 7D. Another 3 years later and after 2 years photographing rock concerts across Europe by request I decided to drop digital and go back to film. That's where I am now and why I'm saying hello.

Current cameras include some Canon A1's, a 1947 5x4 Speed Graphic, a Mamiya 645J and 1000s, a Yashica Mat 245G and some home made pinhole cameras along with a cupboards of useless material.

I don't claim to know a lot about photography but I know what looks bad. Self portraits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grinder1.jpg   6565h65h56h56h564h656hh44cqss.jpg   Oyster Rush S.jpg  
    Last edited by Gavin R; 09-08-2012 at 07:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Gavin and welcome to APUG. I have a old Canon A-1 also. I'm overweight also.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Gavin!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey there gavin -- so what made you switch back to film? Those three prints are really cool, by the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks great!

But you need to dump that 5x4 and get a 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really like your prints especially the third one. Some of the best I've seen on this forum. Congrats.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Here all analog users are welcome, not important if you are 12 or 82 years old, if you have 42 or 242 kg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Gavin! You'll soon find you're not the only one here from the Isle of Wight.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So you're on here as well now!!

Welcome. I think that's two IW residents on APUG now compared with four on FADU.

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Welcome Gavin! You'll soon find you're not the only one here from the Isle of Wight.
    We have already met!!

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin