Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,654   Online: 847

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve- you may have had some awareness of this from having been here in DC and seen the movie, but by and large movies that take place in DC are often not shot in DC and at best have a distorted sense of DC geography, if not are outright fabrications. Sometimes Baltimore is used for a stand-in, but I was recently watching an episode of the 2005 tv series "Prison Break" and they had a scene where the street names were correct (although 11th Street NW does NOT in fact intersect with Constitution Avenue) but there are no commercial office buildings at that location, in fact at the purported address, there's a federal agency and one of the Smithsonian museums. The actual scene was shot in Chicago, where the rest of the series takes place, and the producers forgot to change the phone number on the payphone, which still had a Chicago area code on it (Chicago is 312 - Washington DC is 202). More recently, in State Of Play with Russell Crowe, they used the front of a federal agency which has these bizarre alien-spaceship sculptures-cum-lighting fixtures out front as a substitute for the main city hospital. Otherwise they were relatively faithful to city geography. But it brings to mind the line from Austin Powers, "You know what's remarkable? Is how much England looks in no way like Southern California".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello from Rockville!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from a former resident of the DC burbs, but now in New England. You've found the right place for your film photography!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, everyone! I've had my eye on those Photoworks classes for some time (and I've been reading the Photo Artist blog) but the timing just hasn't worked out for me yet.

Seems like there's a decent DC contingent here...I'll be sure to check the regional forum to see if there are any local classes or meetups.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Joan and welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Steve- you may have had some awareness of this from having been here in DC and seen the movie, but by and large movies that take place in DC are often not shot in DC and at best have a distorted sense of DC geography, if not are outright fabrications. Sometimes Baltimore is used for a stand-in, ".
    Hmm. That's interesting. Is there a particular reason why they might choose not to shoot in DC? Perhaps permission to film isn't too forthcoming because of the large number of federal and governmental activities that take place there. I really liked it (though the heat and humidity took a bit of getting used to). When I went up the monument it was pointed out that the colour of the stone changes part way up because of the US civil war interrupting the construction. Apparently when construction resumed after the war the stone was sourced from a different quarry. That slight change in stone colour was even faithfully portrayed in an episode of The Simpsons!
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm sure some of it is national security BS. But that would generally only apply to the governmental core of the city, not the rest of the residential and commercial parts. I think that unlike some other major cities (New York, San Francisco, even Baltimore!), DC either lacks a Motion Picture Commission or they don't have their act together. I don't remember the name of the film, but oh perhaps 15-20 years ago there was a movie that took place in DC and had a chase scene on the DC Metro. Metro wouldn't let them film in the subway so they had to use the Baltimore subway as a stand-in. I think the excuse at the time was that Metro didn't want to depict crime happening on the system (at that point in time it was in fact one of the cleanest, safest systems anywhere). Since then, they've changed their mind, and in State of Play (mentioned above) they actually do have several scenes that take place on Metro and actually show the DC Metro system (although they filmed in stations that were not the ones alleged to be in use - that's a practical thing, as the one they used is a much bigger station with a bigger platform that made it easier to film).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin