Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,950   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Been lurking for a while, here I am - Greetings from central Ontario!

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a few months and thought I'd say Hi. Name's Rob, and I live in Peterborough, Ontario, in the elusive Canadas.

I've been doing film photography for about 4 months now. I'm primarily using a Minolta Maxxum 7000i which I found for free online years ago, but didn't touch for the longest time. Before that, I'd only ever really used point-and-shoot cameras (film and digitial) on holidays, etc. I don't really know what possessed me to get seriously into film photography this past summer, but since I started I've been averaging shooting 2 or 3 rolls of 35mm every week. I pretty quickly got into doing my own B&W development & scanning. Recently, I was amazingly given an Omega B-600 enlarger and a Canon AE-1 (with a nice selection of lenses) by a local amateur photographer who switched over to digital a few years ago, who I met on Twitter.

I just finished setting up a quick-and-dirty darkroom on Wednesday night, and have been having a ton of fun learning the very basics of the art of printing over the past few days. I am finding that, as I am still very slowly learning the "art" side of photography, also being able to work on the "craft" side of developing and printing has really helped keep me very interested and motivated.

I've largely been doing concert photography - available light shots of local bands, which has led to some dubious cases of me pushing film farther than it should do - and some "urban" protography. Not sure if it's quite "street", whatever that means: things like views through shop windows, monuments and public buildings, etc. I was just recently visiting Toronto (my home town) and spent about an hour photographing the Allen Expressway (highway and subway tracks.)

Anyways, thanks for having me - looking forward to hanging around and learning from y'all, especially about enlarging & printing techniques.
    Last edited by rjhelms; 10-13-2012 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Rob, from the left coast of Canada.

I predict you are going to enjoy it here.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to aPUG, great site to share and learn. We are damned near neighbors, I live in Pakenham, just a bit west of Ottawa. I love working in the darkroom as much as I do shooting. Feel free to email me anytime or just stop by and have a cold one and we can talk photography. Don

Shooter
    Large Format
    Welcome from Hamilton.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from down in Texas!! You'll fit right in here (and here in Texas too with that y'all you threw in there!!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome. Try to get down to the PHSC Fall swap meet tomorrow. Check the Toronto/GTA/Ontario board here for details.

Images
    Good Morning, RJ,

Welcome from southwestern Illinois.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rob! I'm mostly a Prairie girl myself, but spent 4 good years in Toronto. Glad to have you here!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Rob and welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard, Rob, from another beginner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin