Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,784   Online: 807

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hi from Brooklyn, NYC.

My name is Victor. I just joined up here couple of days ago. I have been shooting digital for all of my 5 years into photography. I am currently doing freelance works and paid event photography and I am heavily into cycling race photography. And currently the racing season is over and getting into medium format. That's why I am here. Currently, I am shooting with a Yashica Mat and soon to have a Mamiya C330F. I am a digital guy. If there is a problem with it, let me know. I know someone who is a diehard film person would just hate all things digital. He didn't start shooting digital until last year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no problem with you shooting digital, vic, but just remember this is an analog/film forum area. People who discuss digital issues are treated gently but firmly, has been my experience.

Yashica mat is a good camera, you will enjoy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    no problem with you shooting digital, vic, but just remember this is an analog/film forum area. People who discuss digital issues are treated gently but firmly, has been my experience.

The image quality surprisingly good with the Yashica Mat. Maybe the lab did a good scan. I am just totally blown away by medium format. However, I am getting the Mamiya C330F because I want something more fancier. I have other message boards to hang out in if I need answers to some of my questions relating to digital photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG. You will grow to love film!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format

Well, as long as users do not give out misinformation about digital photography. I mean, how silly is that to say that the each DSLR unit has its own ISO standard and one can't not cross reference check with another body or with another film body or with another light meter???? Or shooting with DSLR means you are shooting jpeg. Have people knowing anything about shooting in RAW??? I am currently in that sort of discussion right now. My eyes are rolling right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
    Well, as long as users do not give out misinformation about digital photography. I mean, how silly is that to say that the each DSLR unit has its own ISO standard and one can't not cross reference check with another body or with another film body or with another light meter???? Or shooting with DSLR means you are shooting jpeg. Have people knowing anything about shooting in RAW??? I am currently in that sort of discussion right now. My eyes are rolling right now.
    The ISO "speed" specification for digital is different than the ISO "speed" specification for film, because the behaviour of digital sensors is different than the behaviour of film.

In particular the contrast behaviours are different, and contrast is one of the criteria involved in determining the ISO (at least for film).

You will need to individually calibrate the readings from a digital camera to your film workflow in order to determine your own personal "EI" for the combination you are using. Not for the faint of heart if you are new to film.

The readings given by a DSLR are not irrelevant, but they are designed for different purposes.

And while there are film-centric discussions somewhat analogous to the "RAW vs. JPEG" discussion (developer choice?) neither discussion has much to do with the role of the two different ISO specifications in your photography.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Victor !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Victor.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Large Format
    People who discuss digital issues are treated gently but firmly, has been my experience...
    We're gentle only up to a point and then we get out the tar and feathers...

Victor, Welcome to APUG ...always remember and respect that the 'A' is for Analog...as in NOT digital.
    Please, discuss all things digital elsewhere. It is definitely NOT appreciated nor acceptable here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Victor and welcome to APUG. There are plenty of other forums for digi talks, not much interest to include it here.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin