Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,112   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Sydney

Shooter
    35mm

Hi from Sydney

Hmmm...seems I've got the film bug.
    I thought it was time to say hi since I've found myself coming here more & more often to ask my very green questions about DIY processing and have met with nothing but good natured, clear information by people with a breadth of knowledge that is obvious and inspiring. What's there not to love?
    So hi to all!
    I'm Peter. I live in Sydney and have found my way to photography via film, (as in motion picture) via music. It's true! Bare with me....
    For a few years when I was based in Melbourne (at the time a touring muso) I lived with a friend who also happened to be a film artist. She shot Super 8 and then worked directly onto the film (think Stan Brakhage/Len Lye) Her work is beautiful and she is still one of the smartest people I know. For a long time we discussed working together; her doing the images and me doing the sound/music. Finally, long after we'd stopped living together and were in different cities, we hatched a project. She equipped me with a Super 8 camera, gave me the low down and I took it with me on tour to Brasil. The idea was, I would shoot, she would treat the film and I'd do the sound. By the time that project was finished and had some screenings I'd become hooked on Super 8 and the relationship between light & the photochemical....and everything else that goes with it.
    I suppose the other point of interest is that presently my number one love is motion picture film (but who knows, stills just might take over) and I'm here en route to my ultimate goal of processing my own Super 8 & 16mm. (If this is of interest you can follow my progress here)
    So far I've begun processing my own B&W 35mm still (and loving it!) and am gearing up for my first run of C-41. I then will try E6 before moving to Super 8 & 16mm. The holy grail for me is 16mm colour neg. It's the dreaded Remjet backing that sends a shiver down the spine of the DIY processor! So I'd love to hear of anyone else's experience with this (I realise this is more for the cinematography community but just in case...!)
    That's it.
    I'm amazed by this forum and am here, wide eyed & excited.
    LOng live film!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome Peter,

A good thing about film is not having to read dpreview and finding out the camera you bought last week is full of noise and cant take photos any more.

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm

Worse

Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Welcome Peter,

A good thing about film is not having to read dpreview and finding out the camera you bought last week is full of noise and cant take photos any more.

Daniel.
    They also believe their expertise in digicams makes them qualified to judge photo books, instruct on composition, and pontificate on legal issues.

Welcome, Peter!
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Adding a bit of dishwashing detergent to the borax remjet bath makes the process much, much less messy. The detergent prevents the remjet from redepositing from the wash water back on to the film, sponge, hands and everything else. I found putting the film in a bucket with the borax & detergent for 10 minutes and giving it a swirl removed the backing cleanly with no muss, fuss or wiping.

Nicholas's post , search ram jet in forum search engine.

Welcome to APUG.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Peter -- welcome to APUG! I'm definitely not the one to help you with 16mm film, but you are most welcome here and I look forward to seeing your work!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    By the way Kodachrome films have ram jet backing and bw development of that film is well discussed. And use of short cut movie films are well discussed also. Ram jet backing and removal of it is not only cinematographers problem. You would find endless amount of post here in APUG but I think Nicholas post is short and explain everything.

DIY processors and home mixed movie film chemicals are widely discussed also but some thread names are strange and you have to surf the forums for a quick look. Lots of threads are at the archives and after you do the first thing and learn the forum language , it would be no problem.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Peter, welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Peter. We all have the film bug here!

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Welcome to the forum Peter.
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Peter. As Umut says above, RemJet is not that hard to deal with. Search the forums, especially under ECN-2 (aka Eastman Color Negative) which is a process for color MP film. There are a number of us here that fool with it from time to time. Your hunt for chemisty in Oz sounds like it is far more difficult than removing RemJet.

-- Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin