Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,758   Online: 969

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Jack - Welcome!

The go to place for camera manuals is Mr. Mike Butkus. He has thousands of manuals for download and, while not at all compulsory, he does asks very nicely if you'll donate a few dollars to help him keep the pdfs online and buy and scan the manuals. The list of manuals he has can be found here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html

Developing your own film would probably be easiest and most economical for you - even with a house move about to happen. I live in a rental property, so my "darkroom" is entirely makeshift. I've simply blacked out the windows in my laundry with a few layers of garbage bags - very stylish! If you're not doing your own printing, the only time you need a completely blacked out room is when you're loading your film into a developing tank, so even a closet will suffice for that. From that point, the rest can be done in daylight without a problem.

At some point, someone here is probably going to suggest to you Ilford's guide to developing your own film, so I thought I'd get that out of the way now. Here's a link to the pdf: Processing Your First Black and White Film - Ilford

I'm sure you'll have a ball using your new cameras and, from personal experience, I know that there are thousands of people here who are incredibly generous with help and advice.

Enjoy!
    Molli

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you for your kind words Jack , We have thousands of super heros here. I bet , you will be good at your 3th roll , dont worry , children learns walking with lots of rolls.

Any problem , We are here to help you , We can be more helpful if you would specific in your needs.

best,
    Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 12-09-2012 at 09:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You do not need a darkroom to develop film, just a dark place to load the film into the tank, like a changing bag. And now a shameless plug for one of APUGs sponsors:
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Jack ,

Freestyle is a photographers online shop. You can buy anything you want from them. If you want to develop BW and if you need developer , try to start with powder 2 pounds package of D76 Kodak Developer. You can buy a small tank for your development. D76 comes in powdered form and needed to be mixed to 80 celcius degree water with stirring until it completely mixes. You would be needed to buy a light airtight canister to secure it.

Developing tank comes with metal or plastic reels which could be swithched to 120 or 35 mm film. 120 film is 6 centimeters or 2.4 inches to 1 meter thing , 35mm film is 1 inch to 1 meter or 3 feets thing.
    You can swith the reels to spiral the film inside either for 2.4 inches or 1 inches film.

You might be able to open the 35 mm canister - you need a opener- in the dark , remove the film in dark and spiral inside of reel.

Lets make everything clear and easy. First buy a color negative film , order to develop it at walgreens after you take the pictures and tell the labman not to cut the film in to small pieces.

Buy a tank , open it , remove the reel and work with your uncut film to spiral it inside of reel. After 5 th try , try another session in dark.

When you are keen to spiral your film in to reel at dark , you are ready to do the same with your bw film.

Dont open the canister without dark , you need complete darkness and no light leak.

You bought 35mm BW Negative Film - for example arista edu - , you loaded to your camera , took the pictures , come home , go inside of darkroom , open the canister , remove the film , spiral in to reel at dark , put the reel in to tank , close the top of the tank at dark , open the lights.

You put the developer when it is 21 celcius degrees in to the tank from hole , - you would need to wait approximatelly 7 minutes or so - Everything written on d76 package - and unload the developer from the tank - NOW YOU NEED KODAK FIXER- put the fixer from the tank hole and red the package , how much you would need to wait and unload the fixer and wash your negatives. They are ready. Order scans , inkjet , laser prints or order prints from a lab , they are listed at APUG.

All you need to make bw photography for Canonet,

35mm bw negative film from freestyle - for example arista edu - 3 dollars per roll
    developing tank , which its reels switchable either 120 or 35.
    Film canister opener
    D76 Kodak Film developer
    Kodak BW Fixer
    Liquid temperature measuring device around 18 to 25 Celcius degrees
    Water warm
    And a good eye and passion for art and study your Canonet manual , new cells

Best of luck ,
    Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 12-09-2012 at 10:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Your public library will have many books quite suitable for understanding basic film photography and developing. Used book stores will have 1960-1980's books for cheap.
    If you are the type to learn from reading.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG I hope you enjoy your film cameras.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jack,

Where are you and where are you going to be? If you are in central Florida, I can show you how to develop your film. (B&W only). A lot of us have excess darkroom "stuff" so you don't necessary have to buy everything, not to mention things are practically given away at various places. Leaning from someone who is experienced is probably the best way to go, second best being old books.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Jack,

I also have a Retina iiiC (I inherited from my dad over thirty years ago), and I still use it to this day. Many of the techniques I learned using a film camera are applicable to digital photography since the underlying principle is the same - acquiring an image using a lens and a light-proof box equipped with a sensor. You'll probably discover that much of what you've done with a digital camera can also be accomplished with a film camera, although the process of generating a print for a picture frame or a computer screen will be different.

I use a hybrid workflow, acquiring my images on film and having the negatives or positives digitized at the time of processing (through a commercial lab). Sometimes I'll rescan the image on my film scanner if needed. In your case, once you have access to a darkroom, you can scan the negatives you develop and proceed with your usual digital workflow. A film scan from a 120 negative will provide a digital file with a resolution on a par with something obtained using a digital camera with an APS-C sensor.

Best of luck with the move. I'm sure you'll enjoy analog photography as much as digital.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Savage View Post
    Is Freestyle an online forum, Mark? (Thanks for the heads' up!)

y.
    Freestyle is a company that sells film, paper, chemicals, etc. If it is sold in the States, odds are they have it and may even be the importer. www.freestyle.biz
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Kodak Retina IIIC Manuals 1 and 2

http://www.cameramanuals.org/kodak_p...ina_iiic-1.pdf

http://www.cameramanuals.org/kodak_p...ina_iiic-2.pdf

Kodak Retinas are coming from a era where everything Kodak is highest quality , no plastic cameras , plastic lenses but constant race with Germany with again German lenses.

Your camera lens is one of the best and Compur Shutter is very high quality. I dont know these cameras have a light meter or not but Sunny 16 rule would help. Google it. Try to buy two rolls of films and experiment against Canon. I bet you would be impressed.

Umut

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin