Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 810

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    ... (Kodak Retina)and experiment against Canon. I bet you would be impressed.
    No bet required... it is a guarantee (unless something is wrong with the Retina).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Jack. You were gifted some nice cameras to learn film on. Another forum to check out is Rangefinder forum since you have a couple of them and canonettes and retinas are liked there as well. Another vote for freestyle as a supplier too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow, you guys are epic today! I've never been on a art forum before , that was nice, constructive, and full of comments. You are totally a first for me! Are all forums this awesome?

I'm going to be moving back to the Arcata/Eureka area of Northern California; most of our family lives there, or near there, and my wife has expressed interest in going back to the College of the Redwoods as a writing minor/photography minor with a possibility of finishing her BA, so she can continue onto her real passion -- medical science! Those AA's are tough. She has everything she needs for credits, but school here in Oakland doesn't offer much for art. We'll definitely be looking into clubs once we get up north again, we hope to move in February.

I have a question that's gonna sound kind of silly to you all, but it's a matter I take pretty seriously (even if it is really embarrassing.) Are any of you Achluophobic? I suffer from *severe* Achluophobia, I can't stand the dark. I become petrified and I can't move at all if I'm in a really dark room. I sleep with a candle lit in the corner of our bedroom on a bedstand, and sometimes I have to leave a light on in the bedroom. Sometimes the dark makes me cry. It's gotten worse since I've gotten older - I'm 28 now.

How do you cope with the mental and emotional fear of the dark room? Is it at all possible to have a tea candle lit in the far corner? I don't think it is. I'd be worried it'd ruin my film! I think I'm gonna have to invest in one of those speakers people use for their iPods, I'm gonna need a distraction - how long does it take to develop film, and do you have to walk away & come back? I think my wife is gonna have to help me -- LOL! -- I'm gonna need someone to hold my hand!
    In 2012, I lost everything to debt, including my only camera - a DSLR. My father-in-law gave me 3 analog cameras, and I have no idea what to do or how to use them. I am dying to find out how to use this new medium, so I am seeking any and all information I can get my hands on as a student and a novice in this strange new media. I need to know everything; and so I will. I am so happy I found this forum where I can learn a new skill. Everything is very exciting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given that kind of condition... send your film out for processing and don't be embarrassed about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    You don't need to be in the dark to develop your film, Jack. You only need dark to make the prints. Check this out: http://www.fecalface.com/SF/index.ph...=344&Itemid=92
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Savage View Post
    I can't stand the dark. I become petrified and I can't move at all if I'm in a really dark room.
    Jack, it's rarely if ever completely dark in the 'darkroom'. When using the enlarger, there is light from that, and immediately when that is switched off, the safelight goes on automatically if it's plugged into a timer that does that kind of switching (nearly all do). The only complete darkness occurs when loading film on a reel, and even that is attenuated a bit by the glow of the florescent hands of certain kinds of clocks. Since you'll be concentrating on getting the film on the reel, there's not much time to dwell on the darkness, and as soon as the film is in the tank, on go the lights again. In fact, doing this often enough may help you overcome your phobia...cognitive therapy. Good luck.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Phew! I'm pretty hesitant about this still, but you all don't think the process will take hours and hours to do, do you? D: If I could have my wife & some music in there with me for a short period, I might be able to do this...but.....I really don't think I can if it takes a long amount of time! Eerk.

I'm lucky that once we move back to Arcata, her old art teacher is willing to help us with all of this. I hope I can manage until then! 2 more months..... just 2 more months!
    In 2012, I lost everything to debt, including my only camera - a DSLR. My father-in-law gave me 3 analog cameras, and I have no idea what to do or how to use them. I am dying to find out how to use this new medium, so I am seeking any and all information I can get my hands on as a student and a novice in this strange new media. I need to know everything; and so I will. I am so happy I found this forum where I can learn a new skill. Everything is very exciting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you're still in the Bay Area, I recommend taking the BART over to San Francisco, since there's a lot of film photography stores and a few labs over there. One store that can help you get set up is Glass Key Photo in the Lower Haight; I was there over the summer and they have everything you need from basic color print film to chemicals to develop your own. The owner regularly posts on these forums under the handle tjaded, so send him a PM to get more info. Also nearby is Photoworks, which is a very highly regarded photo lab, although since I've never used their services, I can't personally vouch for them.

P.S. If developing film yourself, you can use a darkroom bag to load the tank in daylight; only your hands are in the dark. When processing, the developing tank is light-tight, so you don't have to be in a completely dark room. As for printing in the dark, I use these red LED floodlights to light up the darkroom: http://www.cyron.com/p-4-lightbulb-p...laces-15w.aspx . They're about as bright as a 20w lightbulb, but they deliver an extremely narrow spectrum of light that the photo paper can't "see". I use 2 of them in my darkroom, and have never had a problem with exposed paper.
    Last edited by nickrapak; 12-09-2012 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Fantastic! I only know about Looking Glass Photo, over in Berkeley on Telegraph Ave; but they're so overpriced - they took their overpriced items and overpriced the prices they overpriced, I sweat to heaven. And it sucks because I just love their store, and their supplies, and bags, and filters, and softboxes, and...UGH so much WANT!

Thanks for the ref., nickrapak!

Also, @ perkeleelilinen - that has to be the single most amazing DIY thing I've come across. Super-duper helpful. Found one slightly similar on Youtube, minus the black-bag. Super nifty and worth trying - considering I got scared just talking about the darkroom, I do hate the dark!
    perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Jack and welcome to APUG. Good luck with your new adventure in photography.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin