Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,156   Online: 969

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Jack. Your name just made this website more cool.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't wait to yell hi to you in an airplane. Badumpa!

Welcome to APUG.

Loading and developing black and white film can be done with you completely in the light. Only the film needs to be in total darkness.

Here's a series of four videos that totally demonstrate the process. The guy in the video is a little creepy, but the info is ok.

http://www.apug.org/forums/media.php?do=details&mid=1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Jack! You should grab a few books and get started with black and white, its really quite affordable when you develop and print yourself. I recommend H. Horenstein's a Basic Manual to black and white photography. There are tons of copies in libraries, and for cheap used on amazon. It covers much of the basics of cameras, developing, and printings, and good examples of each. There are many more great books such as beyond monochome, or the edge of darkness, that you should take a look at too if your in the same area in the library.

Plus you can always come here to ask any questions you have as well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome ^^

If I was you, I would definately begin by shooting and sending away for developing, moving pretty quickly over to developing the film myself (and scanning or sending away for printing).

The darkroom-printing process is something you can ponder about after you've gotten your feet wet, there is a lot of fun to be had just shooting and developing your own film. (quite empowering feeling, knowing you are a "self-contained", hard-core "negative film-maker") ^^

And as the others say, you can process your film in full daylight, using a changing bag to get the film out of the canister and onto the spool and into the developing tank.
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 12-11-2012 at 04:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 on Jason Brunner's Videos on developing film. That's how I got started this past summer. Excellent! Get the freestyle changing bag. You can do it! Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I can't wait to yell hi to you in an airplane. Badumpa!

Welcome to APUG.

Loading and developing black and white film can be done with you completely in the light. Only the film needs to be in total darkness.

Here's a series of four videos that totally demonstrate the process. The guy in the video is a little creepy, but the info is ok.

http://www.apug.org/forums/media.php?do=details&mid=1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, you really caused a stir today. And to answer another of your questions, no, other fora are not as friendly and civil as this one. What passes for a flame war here is pretty tame.

If you can make Mac & Cheese, you can process B&W film. I started a couple years ago and videos like Jbrunner's helped a lot. A good place to find books is Goodwill.

Nobody but stupid fools like us want this stuff any more, and bags. tanks, and reels seem to never wear out. So if you look around, all the equipment you need will be available for very little money - fractions of what it originally cost. I did a lot of calculating before starting this and decided that getting into film as a serious hobby would be MUCH cheaper than digital over my remaining lifetime.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin