Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,412   Online: 774

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

I lost everything in 2012, so my Dad gave me some cameras.

Hello, my name is Jack. I've just recently lost my home & I've sold my DSLR & other things to help me and my wife get a new place to live. That said, I became really depressed because I no longer had a camera, but in November for my birthday, my father-in-law gave me 3 analog cameras. Only, I've NEVER used analog, save for when I was a kid, and I shot with a point-and-shoot my mom gave me for Christmas, it was a dirt-cheap thing and I don't think I ever seriously used it.

That said, I'm so happy I have something new to look forward to in my life. An old dog can NEVER have too many new tricks to learn!

Anyway, my dad, he gave me these cameras; I'm so grateful, even if I can't use them yet!

Canon Cannonette
    Argo Argoflex - I just need a metal bit for the film
    & a Retina iiiC "Big C" with the everything except the kitchen sink! I have so many lenses & parts I don't even know what to do.

Where does one get to develop such weird film? Can anyone give me some suggestions? Once my wife and I get into our new place up North, she said her old art teacher can help us develop our stuff, regardless of what format we use. But are there any places or business you can take your really obscure film into to develop your film for you?

I remember when I was a kid, Mom took me to Shopko and we dropped our film off at a 24-hour film developing thing that was right there in the store. I know CVS develops film, and Costco, and Walgreens. But I doubt any of them could develop 120mm.

What do you guys recommend as far as chains go? Does anyone do that? How much will it run me? What are the wait times, and do you have to send things in via the mail? Can you get prints, or just positives? Or just negatives?

Anyway, it's wonderful to meet you all. By the way, I did do a lot of digital photography for a while, but I was mostly a toy & doll photographer. I'm only just now showing any interest in actual photos that don't involve miniatures - otherwise I'd share my profile. I don't really have anything to share otherwise. Sorry! That said, I am so excited a new part of my life is starting. 2012 has to be the worst year ever. Debt took everything from me. Thank God for art, no one can take that away at least.
    In 2012, I lost everything to debt, including my only camera - a DSLR. My father-in-law gave me 3 analog cameras, and I have no idea what to do or how to use them. I am dying to find out how to use this new medium, so I am seeking any and all information I can get my hands on as a student and a novice in this strange new media. I need to know everything; and so I will. I am so happy I found this forum where I can learn a new skill. Everything is very exciting!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can get your 120 film developed at The Darkroom. They are a sponsor of this forum. I have used them with great results and they can scan your negatives as well. But if your wifes former art teacher can help you develope stuff, why not let this person teach you how to develope the film yourself? For what you'll spend to have a few rolls developed you can purchase the chemicals to develope black and white films on your own. Color film is a little more of a challenge but not impossible to learn.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    We were tempted by the idea of asking him to help us, actually! The only issue right now is, we move in 2 months -- I was wondering what to do in the mean time. For $30 a month, this teacher sounds amazing, totally wish I had him when *I* was in college! (If you're interested in information, he works at College of the Redwoods in Eureka, California, although I don't know his name, apparently, my wife says, he's the main darkroom & photography teacher.)

That is fantastic news about the Darkroom thing, thanks so much for passing that on. I'm looking all over this forum...I'm not entirely sure I know what language you guys use when you're all talking about cameras & films, and so many acronyms & seemingly random numbers! Wow! I appreciate your pointing out this sponsor...I am so overwhelmed!
    In 2012, I lost everything to debt, including my only camera - a DSLR. My father-in-law gave me 3 analog cameras, and I have no idea what to do or how to use them. I am dying to find out how to use this new medium, so I am seeking any and all information I can get my hands on as a student and a novice in this strange new media. I need to know everything; and so I will. I am so happy I found this forum where I can learn a new skill. Everything is very exciting!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello Jack,

Canon is the easiest to learn camera. If you want cheap prices to develop and order prints , you would need color negative film which will you order to develop one of your chain stores which you mentioned.
    As far as I read in forums in 6 years , these people develop and print your color negatives in 1 or so hours. If a chain store is close by to you , you could go there , wait and get your negatives , prints and may be an cd where stores the scans.
    Slide film is more expensive , when you order E6 development , result is color positives on the film. Printing , developing is little bit more difficult and expensive if I am not wrong.
    First , try to learn to use camera lightmeter , focus and speed correctly including loading film and unload the film.
    Rest would be easy. You would expect few errors and not good pictures at first try but it will settle , do not worry.
    If it was hard to accomplish , we would not have 60000 members , isnt it ?
    As I read from the beginners , most problem comes from the dark scene photography or no light indoor photography.
    At your first roll , try your camera at most lighted environment you can find. Dont go down less than 1/30 speed , you would see a speed dial or led in your camera and try faster speeds and more light at your first roll.
    I know money is tight for you and dont worry , it will be good. Try to find a job.
    If you switch to 35mm BW Film or 120 BW Film , it would be advisable to develop your own films. You can buy 2 dollar 36 expose 35mm BW negative film from Freestyle or 3 ,4 dollars cost 120 film. When developing your film , you would introduce less contrast , high contrast , high acutance , different tonal pallettes , different grain structures and have fun and be amazed.
    You need developing tank , temperature measurer, developer , fixer , film for 35mm or 120 bw negatives. You can contact print with a hanging lamp and glass plate weight in your dark room at night under red safe light. For contact print , you need small size printing paper , developer , fixer and trays and water.
    Its so easy and rewarding.

Dont worry , everything will be good.
    Now decide what you want and lets be more specific,

Umut
    Istanbul
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 12-09-2012 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Umut, you are a veritable WEALTH of information! Thank you so much for your guiding hand. Some of the basic things I "kinda" know from using old lenses with my DSLR; I inhered some Zuiko lenses along the road & I used them with adapters. So at least there is that!

I'm not worried at the least bit, although, I am overwhelmed. I have not had anything to look forward to for so long, it is nice to have a dream now! I dream that I can take very pretty photos. And that makes me happy, which isn't something that happens a lot with me these days.

I figured I am just going to go outside one day, and take photos. If I mess up then that's gonna suck, but I really don't think I *can* get things right on the first or even the second or the tenth or twentieth try. But with attention to detail I think I can do this. The worst thing that happens is I have a lot of weird photos that are double-exposed or overdeveloped, right? Those kinds of things are always an artists "experimental" phase, that's what I'll tell my friends and family, "I had an experimental phase...." LOL!

Umut, you are super helpful. Thank you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The great thing about analog, for me, is the combination of art and craft. Digital can be great art, but it lacks the craft aspect that gives me a lot of satisfaction. My advice, though, would be to try to learn black and white first. It gives you the most creative flexibility and it is a bit easier to learn in the darkroom.....but it is harder to learn to "see" in black and white in the field. BTW - my favorite place to get film and materials is Freestyle. They have by far the best selection and support the analog community like no one else.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Canon Canonet Manual

Jack ,

Follow this link:http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canonet_28.pdf

You will find Canon Canonet Manual there. Read well , replace the batteries , it would teach you to use the camera.

www.cameramanuals.org , you would find your Retina manual also.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Is Freestyle an online forum, Mark? (Thanks for the heads' up!)

The whole craft thing is totally what's got me revved up and ready to go. There's very few things that make me feel satisfied right now. I'm not proud of anything that's happened with me or to me, in these last 14 months I have gone through a real dark night of the soul.

It's gonna be awesome to tell someone, "Look what I did, I made this" and then in the back of my head, I'm gonna think about all these scientific experimentation I had to do to GET that photo. I feel like a mad scientist here, all photographers should have oversized, fluffy white kitties or something. I've never seen a more involved hobby.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Umut! You are my hero! You get so many gold stars! Thank you a million times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

If you are in the Washington DC are you can drop in to Photoworks and learn about photography and use their darkrooms. http://www.glenechophotoworks.org/
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin