Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,646   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, Henry, from Washington DC!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Henry and welcome to APUG. Like your photos.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thanks for the Warm Welcome!

Folks—

Many thanks for the warm welcome you've given me, and for the information.

Rachelle: I'd like to know how you've handled the moves. I've a sneaking suspicion that I won't be spending much longer than twelve to eighteen months in any one location for the next decade or so. I'm also fairly certain that creative interpretation and repurposing of space may be necessary in order to engage in darkroom endeavors.

Whiteymorange, Suzanne: I'll keep an eye on the New England regional threads—I look forward to such a gathering.

Jeff: Thanks for the compliment! I'll hopefully find out within the next week how they turn out photographically enlarged. I kinda like the distressed look I got from the scan, but I'd rather not have the posterization. I look forward to seeing what I get from a scan of a photographic print.

Vaughn, Eddie: Thanks for the tips. RC paper is what I have; should it turn out to be unusable due to age, I'll be looking for an inexpensive RC multigrade to replace it. Funny thing is that my first foray into tray process printing was with Kodabromide F3, fiber base. I miss that paper. It had a great look to it even when you didn't ferrotype the image surface.

Again, thanks folks! I look forward to future interactions here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Henry, welcome from Australia.
    While I don't have to move any time soon (I hope), I'm in a rental property and feel obliged to hide my "darkroom" every six months for the ritual house intrusion...um, I mean "inspection". So, my darkroom is simply my laundry. The window is blacked out with garbage bags pulled down over the flyscreen which gets taken out and put in the cupboard when necessary. Since the laundry light was just a bare light bulb to begin with, I simply put the collar from a Paterson safelight up around it and swapped out the standard bulb for the 15 watt and slipped the red cover over it. I don' think the real estate agent has ever looked up to even notice the switch. The enlarger sits on a set of drawers with the trays, chemicals, etc. stashed underneath between the washing machine and the wall. All in all, I have about a metre by two metres of space to work in and it's doable.
    Oh, and aside from some 8x10 paper for proof sheets, ALL of my paper is at least twenty years old.

As someone mentioned earlier, where there's a will, there's a way. Have a blast exploring all of your ideas and, once again, welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hgernhardt View Post
    ...For the ethereal, magical moments of watching a latent image come to the fore in the processing tray. For the richness of the red light. For the smell of hypo. For water dripping from the corners of hanging paper. For the beauty of old technology.
    I usually lurk about reading posts and enjoying from afar, rarely commenting. But I must say; You sir are more than a photographer, but a storyteller, a poet and a most enthusiastic shepherd of and evangelist for old school photography.

What a delightful read!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin