Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,157   Online: 848

Shooter
    35mm

Newbie from Asheville

Hi Folks!

I'm Josh. I have always been interested in photography, but I recently acquired two Minolta 35mm cameras and it has sparked a serious interest. I really enjoy the idea and paraphernalia of film photography, and I like the idea that I could still take and develop photos in the event there are no more computers. Here's my equipment so far:

• Minolta XG-7
    • Minolta X-700
    • Tiffen f/1:3.5 28-85mm zoom w/ Haze 1 filter
    • Albinar f/1:2.8 28mm macro
    • Rokkor f/1:1.7 55mm standard

I've shot five rolls of Ilford Delta-400 with the XG-7, but the first roll I had developed was not that great and I had such a bad experience with the shop that I've decided not to develop the other four rolls until I can do it myself at home. I've shot two rolls of Fujicolor 200 with the X-700, and I was very pleased with the results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69060008.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	813.5 KB 
ID:	64533 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69060019.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	665.8 KB 
ID:	64534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69060004.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	838.3 KB 
ID:	64535

I definitely want to start developing my own film at home, for cost reasons but also because I don't want some 1-hour lab tech messing with my exposures (no offense to photo techs!). Unfortunately, I don't have space in my apartment for a full darkroom, but there is a public darkroom in town so maybe one day I'll be able to make my own prints as well. I'm glad to see there is still a thriving community of film photographers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Newbie from Asheville

Welcome from Memphis!
    I have several Minoltas myself, and love those X-series cameras. They and their lenses are vastly underrated and underappreciated. I especially love the finger-touch activation of the meter.

Developing at home is really easy, especially B&W, and you don't need a darkroom to develop film -- only to print. Good luck with your progress!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Josh welcome to APUG, I also live in NC. I work in eastern NC but have a house in Hendersonville and worked many years in Asheville. I have many minolta lenses and two X700 cameras. The Minolta cameras are a bargain I also have a Maxxum 9000 and some lenses for it. Hendersonville has a large camera club but I have not been a member for many years and don't know if they still have a film following. If you don't mind a little wait Dwaynes has a good lab but it is mail order. Enjoy your Minolta cameras and get a developing tank for your processing.
    Marvin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Josh and welcome to APUG. While there will be computers a hundred years from now I doubt the digital images will survive. One will have to copy copy copy and copy to new computer drives and media then perhaps convert the files so they can be read by what ever program is being used at the time. VS Film negatives.

Besides, using film is a lot more fun.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Josh and welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

The three images I posted above were from an urban safari I went on with a friend of mine who shoots with a fully manual Pentax that he paid a tidy sum for second-hand. When I was explaining all the features of the (free to me) X-700 to him he didn't quite know what to make of it, and I think the images show this camera is perfectly capable of taking wonderful photographs. Here's a couple more from the other roll of film:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69070006.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	899.9 KB 
ID:	64565 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69070009.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	965.0 KB 
ID:	64566 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69070014.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	770.2 KB 
ID:	64569

I love, love, LOVE the color balance of this film. That slightly retro look is exactly what I was hoping for with these shots. In the future I want to get a longer lens to get some closer shots of those mountains in the background which look absolutely spectacular any time of the year.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome Josh! I'm sure you'll be able to at least develop your own negatives in your bathroom. The photo store on Tunnel Road east of downtown (I forget the name) always seemed to stock plenty of darkroom supplies. My wife and I love your area, its a wonderful place to shoot.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Jeff, I'm Bill Logan, Past President of f/32 the camera group here in the Asheville/Hendersonville area. and yes, we do have a large continuing group of film followers, myself included. I will look up some phone numbers and send them along here.... well, the card no longer has any number but you can call 828-658-9979 to talk to a person there. Our website is www.f32nc.com and we meet on the second Wednesday of each month at the Reuter Center on the Campus on UNCA. The website will have directions on how to get there. We would love to have you come and join us for our next meeting on 12 March 2013. Check us out. We are fun and we do a lot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Josh - hello and welcome to APUG!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Newbie from Asheville

Welcome! Wife and I are pondering moving to AVL in the not so distant.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin