Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,247   Online: 808

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Back to my roots - good morning from Toronto!

Hello,
    I've been lurking about for a while and then I decided to sign up as a member. This is a wonderful community and I am hoping to learn and discover many things here.

I've done my share of B&W photography in my undergrad years. I had my own darkroom in my parents' home. Then I moved and abandoned photography for a while. Then the usual story - digital etc.

I've been thinking about getting back to my photographic roots for quite some time now. At work I am in front of a computer for most of my day, so I cannot stand staring at a screen any longer in my free time. Also, I a somewhat concerned that my baby daughter and my family won't have any "real" photographs in ten, twenty or thirty years, as I do not quite believe in the assumed longevity of digital format. Besides, digital photographs are simply different.

I am interested in mastering not only the "classic" approach, but also some of the alternative techniques, especially large format plates etc. I think I will limit myself to black and white.

So here I am, eager to learn and start again...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome back. I follow your thought on digital not lasting so have gone back to using film and smelly chemicals - great!

There is simply a lack of skill needed in Digital, the electronics do most of it for you with a bit of help from Photoshop. I look on it much the same as a craftsman making a piece of furniture from a few bits of raw wood and comparing that to buying a flat pack kit of a similar item and simply screwing it together. I know which would probably last longer too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from a former Torontonian!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice to hear you have joined. PM me if you have a need for gear.

I have too much darkroom stuff, and it would be nice to see some of it in use before I cart it to the spring big one camera show in May.

You take a kit of gear enough to get you developing and printing.

Show me what you have dones in a month (or two, since kids are now a part of your mix).

If I can see you have been getting use of the gear it is yours to keep.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from Newmarket, ON I hope you will be able to join one of our APUG meet-ups this summer - see
    Here
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin